Purchasing D50... give advice on package

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok all. It's settled. I am purchasing a Nikon D50.

I just got hired for my first Wedding, and I really need to make the plunge. So I went to Ritz and drolled all over the stuff I want, but there are so many little things, I want some advice.

The wedding is going to be inside the lions den, which apparently is right on the beach. The vows are on the sand, and then some of the party will be inside and some will be out, so I will have a huge variety of conditions, none of which are filled with great lighting!

So...

What EXACTLY do I need to shoot a wedding?

In addition, I have these questions:

1. What is better to have for wedding/portrait photography, a 28-90 or a 18-55 lens?

2. What filter(s) would you use for wedding photography?

3. Is a zoom lens neccesary, say 70 - 300. If so, is it better to have the 18-55 and the 70-300, or the 28-90 and the zoom?

4. A flash? What kind? What do I do with it? I no NOTHING about SDLR flashes, since Ive been doing my portait work in continuous. (poor models)

5. What about spare batteries? Obviously I should have at least 1? Is that enough?

6. Oh, and a remote? Does anyone find this handy in wedding settings?

7. Tripod size?

8. What's the big hairy thing I am missing?

9. If you had to cut either the zoom lens or the flash, which would you?

*gulp*

Ok, sorry for the rant - cannot WAIT to here the answers!

Oh, and here is a picture I took last night of Tampa... Im going to go stare at it to soothe myself!

355777458_65cf214ef6.jpg

You need speed, so look at the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX and 80-200mm f/2.8 or 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. If you want zooms. If you need brighter lenses, go for primes like a 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, and a 180 or 200mm f/2 You'll need another body so pick up another D50 and 2 SB-600 or SB-800's. I'd rent 2 D200's and 2 SB-800's.

Shoot RAW and dont' worry about WB.

For portraits, i'd use a 50 f/1.4.

and last but not least, read this:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20069

You need speed, so look at the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX and 80-200mm f/2.8 or 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. If you want zooms. If you need brighter lenses, go for primes like a 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, and a 180 or 200mm f/2 You'll need another body so pick up another D50 and 2 SB-600 or SB-800's. I'd rent 2 D200's and 2 SB-800's.

Shoot RAW and dont' worry about WB.

For portraits, i'd use a 50 f/1.4.

and last but not least, read this:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20069

GULP. They can't happen. This person hired me on the cheap, understanding that I am starting new. I wouldn't know where to begin to rent any bodies. I guess I should've said that I need to keep it under $1000 ! :)

Hm. Under $1000? It's going to be very difficult to get all of the necesary equipment for a wedding with that amount. You will definately need a good low-light lense (f2.8 and under) because many of the shots will need to be taken in the church, reception, etc. many of which will be indoors.

Flash is also essential, as most of your pictures will be portraits. I've heard really good things about the 430 EX, but I have a Canon, and I'm not sure if it is different for Nikon.

If I had to schoose between the zoom lens and the flash, I suppose I'd go for the flash, simply because it is absolutely necesary. The zoom lens (remember, 2.8 and under) is also important as the kit lens that comes with the D50 isn't going to give you the best quality pictures.

Don't worry too much about filters, as most filters can be mimicked via photoshop.

Spare batteries are a good idea, but aren't necesary the way I see it.

As for the remote and tripod, in many cases you won't need them, but if lighting conditions get bad enough, you may. Problem is, the only tripods you can afford (to stay under 1000) will be very cheap and clanky, and probably won't work well at all if you need to adjust things quickly. Forget the remote, as it really shouldn't be needed. I'd definately take the extra battery over the remote.

Bah. You don't really need a fast lens. But the flash is absolutely essential. Buy a good one with full program TTL.

You would probably be OK with the body, the 18-55 kit lens, a good flash, and a spare camera, enough memory, a spare battery. (though Nikons are supposedly VERY good with battery power)

I posted a similar question here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68547

The answers there might help you. The main answer was to have backups. Do you have a backup body or camera?

As for the tripod size, you will want something that comes up to eye level. I have a Slik U8000, which cost about $60, and it has a removable shoe, which is very handy. This will be necessary for the natural light shots. You will take better natural light photos with your kit lens and a tripod than you could hope for with the fancy 2.8 lens and no tripod.

Skip the remote; you are not going to be in the picture. For tripod shots, you can use the self-timer to avoid shaking the camera.

So my advice:
  • Get the camera with the kit lens. Ask about a promotion where you get TWO lenses. My local Wolf Camera (bought out by Ritz) had a big ad near the door where you get both kit lenses, the 18-55 and the 50-200 and the camera body for $770 after rebates. That's hard to beat, and they are good lenses.
  • Get a nice flash. Nikon if you can afford it. If not, make sure the one you get has full dedication for TTL flash metering and will zoom back far enough to cover the 18mm on your kit lens.
  • Spare battery
  • At least 2GB worth of memory. 4 would be much better.
  • Spare body or camera. Bring your old digital as a spare if you don't have anything else.
  • Tripod that goes to head level; a removable shoe would be nice.
  • Camera bag - get a good one if possible. If not, you can get it later and get a cheap "Quantaray" one for now. I recommend Lowepro or Tamrac. Get a shoulder or fanny pack style. The backpack styles are more for hiker/landscape people who don't need to get to their gear in a hurry.
  • Skip the filters; they're not necessary.
One last thought: If you really feel like you need to have a fast lens for handheld natural light shots, consider the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. It is a good portrait length (turns out to be 75 mm) on your D50, and is fast, but without spending a ton of money.

I can't wait to see your wedding pictures. Keep in touch.

Wow Thanks Jeremy, that was quite a response.

I already have a Tripod, I got at a Garage Sale for 10 bucks made by "Velbon" called a Videomate 300. It seems to be pretty steady. I also have a bag that houses my film Minolta SLR QtSi... but I will probably not even be using that camera much more.

As far as backups, I will bring the Canon A610, that Ive taken all my picture on thus far. Its a great little camera, but I know the people being photographed would be skeptical!

Ritz had a TTL metering Flash for like 129 bucks, would this be the right thing??? I think it was TTL? Anyone got a link to a decent one?

As far as the kit is concerned I will more than likely be getting the 18-55, and purchasing the 70-300 for 150 bucks. Thats a kit for 700 with both. Pretty decent.

It seems everyone tells me to avoid the 28-90 lens?

Most reactions

Back