Purchasing Filters

I think you need a 58mm diameter. Double check though. Just google your lens and it should tell you the filter size.

It should be obvious the front of your lens is way bigger than 18 mm.

The filter diameter size needed is usually printed right on the lens and looks like - Φ58, Φ 77, Φ 55, etc.

Based on Canon site, the Filter Diameter of all 5 different EF-S 18-55mm lenses are 58mm.

your filter size is the number after the "o" with a strikethrough

It should be obvious the front of your lens is way bigger than 18 mm.

The filter diameter size needed is usually printed right on the lens and looks like - Φ58, Φ 77, Φ 55, etc.

KmH I know you get a little exasperated answering so many noobish questions. My advice would be to leave the beginners forum for a little bit and relax some. I can feel your stress coming through the forums. I am not trying to be mean at all. I just think you might need a little break. Here in America, most people know very little about the metric system. I work with the metric system some and I still sometimes find it difficult to convert mm to inches or any realistic scale. Not everyone knows 1 meter = 3.2808333 feet. When I got my camera I had to ask the lady at the store to help me find a filter since I could not figure out what size filter to get. I know you are trying to be helpful it just seems to be stressing you out.

On the inside of the lens cap too...

johnh2005 said:
KmH I know you get a little exasperated answering so many noobish questions. My advice would be to leave the beginners forum for a little bit and relax some. I can feel your stress coming through the forums. I am not trying to be mean at all. I just think you might need a little break. Here in America, most people know very little about the metric system. I work with the metric system some and I still sometimes find it difficult to convert mm to inches or any realistic scale. Not everyone knows 1 meter = 3.2808333 feet. When I got my camera I had to ask the lady at the store to help me find a filter since I could not figure out what size filter to get. I know you are trying to be helpful it just seems to be stressing you out.

Did they stop teaching the metric system in schools? If so, I guess the future predicted by Idiocracy may, in fact, become a reality. If he didn't want to respond, he wouldn't have. Instead he gave extremely useful information that answered the OPs question and some. Not sure what the problem is.

johnh2005 said:

Did they stop teaching the metric system in schools? If so, I guess the future predicted by Idiocracy may, in fact, become a reality. If he didn't want to respond, he wouldn't have. Instead he gave extremely useful information that answered the OPs question and some. Not sure what the problem is.

But I strongly believe the school did not teach the student regarding photography filter. OP choose 55mm filter from BH and later on ask if 18mm should be correct. And that make me think he do not know the "mm" is the filter diameter. I believe he/she thought the mm in filter (diameter) is related to the mm (focal length) number of his/her lens.

What KMH said made other people think OP do not even know anything about mm. And that was what John2005 commented about. Obvious, this is just my observations. I could be totally wrong.

This thread became derailed quick...
Anyways, thanks again for the help.

Most reactions

Back