Purchasing My 1st Camera

MrEd31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been using a 30+ year old Maranda Camera that belongs to my father. I think it is time to upgrade to something a little more current.

I've looked around online quite a bit. There sure are lots of cameras out there. I'm leaning towards something purely manual. I shoot black and white film, mostly landscapes and some random inspired shots. I enjoy operating all the settings and things myself. I've used a Nikon N80, to experience working with something that has lots of functions and settings. Even though it has a manual mode, I find it very cluttered with features that I don't yet know how to use. I'm leaning toward something more like the Nikon FM10. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

-What brand and type of lenses would be good to start with?
-What other gear would be good to have?

Thanx so much for your opinions.

What do you plan on doing with these photos? If it's a just a hobby then there are lots of great choices, even digital. If you are planning on selling these (either enlarged art prints, or to magazines) landscape photography is usually done on medium format. According to the photographers market, most landscape type magazines require medium format.

I was using 35mm when your Miranda camera was new and manual is a good way to learn. The FM10 or Minolta x370 either are good altho I think Nikon has a larger lens lineup. Both of these cameras are available new and there other FM models used as well as the Minolta x700. If you prefer using manual, stay with it. With a good lens they do the same things that higher priced cameras do and many of your prime lenses are better optically than zooms. I bought a new x370 just a few months ago and use it as much or more than my AF camera.

You raise an interesting point. I was only recently introduced to photography, but I have taken a liking to it. I really enjoy landscapes for some reason. I know some people say they lack emotion, but I enjoy it.

Would it be unreasonable to use a medium format camera at this point in my photography career. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced medium format camera that I could start with?

I'm still leaning towards a 35mm for now, just because I'm inexperienced. I think because I have just been shooting for pleasure at this point, this is the best option. The suggestions sound good so far. thanx...

I'd say definitly go with a 35 mm if your just doing it because you enjoy it. Medium format cameras are a whole lot more expensive, so is film and processing,

MrEd31 said:
Would it be unreasonable to use a medium format camera at this point in my photography career. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced medium format camera that I could start with?

I'm still leaning towards a 35mm for now, just because I'm inexperienced. I think because I have just been shooting for pleasure at this point, this is the best option. The suggestions sound good so far. thanx...

35mm is not a pre-requisite for shooting medium format. You could spend $150 on a yashicamat and take beautiful pictures. Film and processing isn't really much more than 35mm. Of course you are limited on lenses unless you spend a lot more on another system. But I think people are often obsessed with many lenses and gadgets. Myself included. I actually quite enjoy being restricted to an 80mm lens (equivilent to the 50mm lens on a 35mm camera). Also, looking at a ground glass with the image reversed makes you slow down when you compose a shot.

I just saw that one of these guys around here has an old K-1000 that he might be willing to part with.

If I hadn't just purchased a camera, I'd be after THAT!

It fits the bill for purely manual cameras. I used to use one with Kodacrhome 25 and Kodak Plus-X Pan 125. (which were always my favorite two films).

At the time Zoom lenses were still new, so all I had was a 50mm, a 135mm, and a blew a whole lot of money on a 100mm for portraits.

I beat the crap outta that camera. If you can get your hands on one, do!

Where exactly did you see that someone was willing to part w/ their k 1000 i've been looking for one for a while and might be interested

Most reactions

New Topics

Back