Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please let me know what you think :)

purity.jpg

not my style but the composition and lighting are good

nice capture matt! well defined outline, and the way the light falls onto it just right, good work!

Thanks everyone :) I wanted to include the base, but honestly, the board was dirty, with smudges (it's glass), and I was having a hard time getting it as clean as I wanted.

matt you're ridiculous dude, its AWESOME.

what is the rain looking stuff? and could you maybe map out what kinda lighting setup you used?

mmmm, no, stick with your first instincts, Matt - not having the base is too distracting, which I think is what you're saying your first choice would have been. :)

Lighting, composition, all really nice - :thumbup: but my eye keeps getting dragged down to the bottom and the image feels incomplete.

I agree about the base, but other than that I really like it! Is the effect of rain something in PS that you did? If you don't care to share your master secrets I'd love to hear a few :)

Thanks Matt, Terri, and Amanda. I am planning to reshoot this, after extensive cleaning, be it with windex, or clone tool.

The lighting was a single desk lamp underneath. The rest of the room was dark. The glass chessboard was propped up on two piles of books, with the lamp lying down and pointing up from underneath. The "rain" was from a water bottle, sprayed in the air above. 1/60 shutter showed some movement as the water fell to the board. I cooled off the colors in the raw file a bit and increased the vignetting with photoshop slightly. I'll repost when I have a better shot.

Thanks again everyone :)

I liked the first one, but the new version is PERFECT IMHO, Seeing the bottom of the king makes a big difference. The lighting looks good and the effect of the mist in the air and on the board adds a very nice touch. Great idea!

There you go - you hit it this time!! :thumbup:

This is what the first shot wanted to be when it grew up. :mrgreen: Just had to wait till Dad decided to get on with the spring cleaning.

You know I'm teasing. Just another reminder that perfection isn't supposed to come too easily. ;) This one is SO spot-on. I like everything about it, and the creative use of water is such an awesome little touch. Great job, Matt. :D

Most reactions

Back