Purpose Of Multiple Lenses?

MarkCSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Time for another noob question from the noob...

What is the point (or is there a point) of having...say a 28-80mm lens when I already have an 18-135mm lens? Doesn't 18-135 cover 28-80? :confused: Is there a sweet spot in the different lenses?

Yes the 18-135 covers the range of the other, each lens will have its own "sweet spot", the reason to buy different lens is for different tasks n effects, zooms are much improved nowadays but prime lens will still give better quality shots, especially wide open. H

Yeah that. Pack-ups, different options since not all lenses have the same capability's.

Well, I can give you a good example. I have a 70-300 and a 50-500.

You would think that the 70-300 would get tanked since the 50-500 has at least as good of optics (actually, slightly better) across the range. But... it weighs 4 pounds less, and is much less prone to shake so you can hand hold it better. It simply doesn't have the reach on either end or the ability to blur fences/cages that the 500 does... which is why I have the other as well.

Just an example.

What is the point (or is there a point) of having...say a 28-80mm lens when I already have an 18-135mm lens? Doesn't 18-135 cover 28-80?

There are "sweet spots" to different lenses, but with this lens combination you are really splitting hairs.

So, you say that you are a noob, and I'm guessing that someone is offering you a deal on this other lens? I have the Canon 28-80 USM, and it's definitely an upgrade from the normal kit lens, as it is sharper and faster, and the USM motor is like the racecar of fast focus.

BUT

I wouldn't buy it, if I were you. I'd make my lens allotment go further by purchasing a different lens, which is either outside of my current zoom range, like a 80-200 zoom or 135-300... OR, I'd look at getting a Normal Prime lens (fast lens for low light shooting).

OR I'd get a name brand (Canon or Nikon), doubler to drastically extend the range of my existing lens.

Rant starts here.:drool:

Finally, but most importantly, If you are buying this lens, thinking it will make better pictures, DON'T!!!!

Lenses don't make good photographs, good photographers make good photographs. I read that statement in fifteen different places, and still, for many months I secretly believed that my photos would come out better, if only I had the "magic" combination of equipment and chemicals.

18-135 is a HUGE range, suitable for 90% of an average enthusiasts daily bread. Being a better photographer, means working on your skills. Reading the textbooks, doing the exercises, taking classes, reading the books, applying the lessons you've learned in the field. Spending time in the darkroom, (and reading the books). Go to the library, and look at the photography books, and criticise the photos in them or try to figure out why they are so good (not out loud, remember that you are in a library)

I'd say that, after a good photography textbook, and a functional camera, the next most important purchase for a newbie photographer on a budget, is a bus pass.

Read the community pages, find out when the Ukranian festival is, those dance classes at the community centre, the car show, the pee-wee hockey game, the local chess club, the club days at the local firing range..etc..etc..

No lens will compensate for boring crap in front of it. If you don't believe me, go to the gallery here and see lots of terrible, terrible pictures that are crisp, clean and have wonderful colours.

end rant.

It's all about having the right tool for the job. Usually, the more specific the tool, the better job it can do. For example, you could twist a nut and pound in a nail with a wrench...but wouldn't it be better have a wrench and a hammer?

Lenses come in many different configurations and qualities. usually, the wider the range, the lower the image quality. It's a matter of convenience vs quality. Actually, the best quality lenses are the ones that don't zoom at all. If you wanted top quality, you might have a whole set of lenses...24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, 200mm, 300mm etc.

So, you say that you are a noob, and I'm guessing that someone is offering you a deal on this other lens?

Actually I was just shopping for a camera bag on Ebay, ended up on Henry's page, looking at their dollar auctions. It was an arbitrary lens example that I happened to see and wondered if it would be a pointless addition. I don't plan on adding any lenses until I really figure out what I can or can't do with the 18-135mm I have currently (and where my actual preferences in photography end up). I just know lots of you guys and gals have a collection of glass and was wondering about what the purpose is.

And don't worry, I'm not under the impression that the lens makes for a better photographer :D

Actually I was just shopping for a camera bag on Ebay, ended up on Henry's page, looking at their dollar auctions. It was an arbitrary lens example that I happened to see and wondered if it would be a pointless addition. I don't plan on adding any lenses until I really figure out what I can or can't do with the 18-135mm I have currently (and where my actual preferences in photography end up). I just know lots of you guys and gals have a collection of glass and was wondering about what the purpose is.

And don't worry, I'm not under the impression that the lens makes for a better photographer :D

You'll notice that a lot of different lenses come out with different effects on pictures.

Some are super sharp, some are soft-focus, some are more fisheye, some are really straight....

Some lenses with a huge range aren't as good because they're cheaper materials to keep the price down. This is why usually if you want a wide range you need to go to the L series of lenses...

Lenses don't make good photographs, good photographers make good photographs.

absolutely true!

... BUT ... a bad lens can ruin some good photographs.

I have some images from my early days, some of them made with terrible glass, and I would love them for their composition, the light and everything ... if they were only taken with a decent lens. But now straight lines are not straight, they are terribly soft in the corners so that I cannot enlarge them without falling into a coma when looking. I agree, there are scenes where this all does not matter, but it matters with some.

Take for example architectural photography ... a not so perfect wide angle lens can easily ruin the best composition.

This was my rant ;) (not saying this all helps this thread though ;) )

Most reactions

Back