Puss Moth

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are shot in the living room and are of our pets that we got through mailorder from an online shop called world wide butterflies. The arrived as eggs and got pictures taken of them each day.
A selection of pictures of their development is here
Entomology Photo 1
There are two pages so be sure to find the next button

This is them just comming from the egg about 2mm across
cerura_vinula_01.jpg

This one is showing off its red tail that it uses as a warning when the kids call their mom.
cerura_vinula_17.jpg

And this is the last of the larval stages where they are about 5cm long
cerura_vinula_23.jpg

As is this
cerura_vinula_26.jpg

The built them selves some cocoons about a week ago and we have been trying to find out how long they will take to pupate but have had conflicting reports, some say 12 days and others say they wont come out untill spring. Does anyone know roughly what the actual time is likely to be?

Tim

i must admit i dont like these...

the pictures are fine but that creature... its face looks like its being eaten by the body... (asif the green part iso ne creature and the brown face a cockroach or summin.)
great images, bet it will turn out as a beautiful butterfly though :)

TEP a great project this something I have also considered doing with butterflies for those rare emergance shots of them - good luck in catching them emerging!

Out of interest what setup did you use for keeping them - a fishtank or some such - what about climate control for them?

As for their hatching times might be an idea to try contacting a few butterfly farms, they might not have the specific species but they are more likey to know good resources for finding out the info you need.

This is so cool! I wish I had the patience to do something like this. I'm looking forward to seeing the next set of shots. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back