Putting a proposal together (help me!) :)

By the way, I'm moving towards recommending two bodies, a crop and a full frame (probably 7D and 5D Mk III) which bumps the EF-S lens out of the ranking. I'm still considering the 70-200 F/2.8 (probably the IS II version) with the often-combined 16-35 2.8 II OR the 17-40 F/4. The tradeoffs between those last two are pretty obvious: speed versus range. I still expect to have need of a good wide angle lens and a 7D's crop would make that 16-35 more like 56mm on the long end. My config would therefore be a 7D with the 16-35mm and a 5Dmk3 with the 70-200, which I think gives me good coverage. (I can always swap those two lenses to instantly get both a wider and longer config!) How does this sound? Am I missing something major? (Also, I need to get rubber rings for shooting through glass.) Edit: I can also buy a teleconverter if needs be.

I have the IS version 1. I love it. It is a really great lens.My thought was that it would be difficult to get two helicopters close enough together for the 70-200 to get everything you want in the air. A teleconverter may be a cheap alternative also.Something to keep in mind: you're trying to sell yourself as the guy who can take the pictures. If you lowball on the equipment and don't get what you need to do the job excellently, then you're not gonna be that valuable anymore.

I have the IS version 1. I love it. It is a really great lens.My thought was that it would be difficult to get two helicopters close enough together for the 70-200 to get everything you want in the air. A teleconverter may be a cheap alternative also.Something to keep in mind: you're trying to sell yourself as the guy who can take the pictures. If you lowball on the equipment and don't get what you need to do the job excellently, then you're not gonna be that valuable anymore.

You're right. Of course, anything I put together is going to wildly exceed the quality of what they've already got. ;) That said, I'm going to be dealing with helicopters, not planes, and any follow chopper is going to get *relatively* close.... Still, what other lenses should I be looking at? I've never had a chance to play with anything longer than the 70-200 so my expertise is pretty much nil there.

If anyone's curious, I ended up requesting and getting a 6D and a 7D with a 16-35 and a 70-200 2.8 IS. Thanks for your help everybody :)

Most reactions

Back