Quadding with my camera...

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going on a 5 day quadding trip and I would love to take my D80 and various lenses, but I am not sure its a good idea. The roads we will be travelling on are dirt, and the dust will be flying. Also, with all the bumps and lumps and jiggling down the road, I am paranoid that I will destroy my camera.

Am I a fool to take it? Am I a fool to leave it at home?

If I was to take it, what would be the BEST way to transport it on the quad? I have a back pack style case, but I am thinking a hard, foam lined case would be better.

Here are a few pics too - just for fun!

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Hard foam lined I think would be the only way that should give it enough protection for biking around. I would think rucksack would be way too flimsy to even attempt at that.
It will (unfortunatly) cost - but get a good hardlined case - if you ever travel by plane in the future it will come in essentail for getting stuff onto the plane and safe whilst in the hands of baggage (who will probably be rougher than you on a quadbike)

I quad with mine..... i'll usually bring one versatile lens 18-200.... or sometimes just my 12-24 and cheap 50mm.... I have a small lowpro bag that I use for this and put the camera in a double zip freezer bag...

this is where the pictures are so you gotta bring your camera.... you'll have a different body in a few years anyways... drive it hard... just watch the lenses....

this is why I try to limit myself to just one lens (two tops) so I don't have dust problems and too much money on the line....

Get a backpack case also that would help, then it's behind you, so no dirt will be directly hitting it, unless it kicks up from the back wheels, I think that it would be safe their, as long as you don't fall backwards.

Ptyler22

I've got a backpack case already, but the dust is insane, as is the riding. Last year I rolled my quad, flew about 20 feet and had it land on me, so the backpack option, well, just isnt one. ;0)

Seems that no one in this town has any hard cases (for cameras) but I have found a number of hard dstproof, waterproof cases that would work if I added foam. Do you guys thing that would work?

Back pack cases are great but I'd try to find a motorcycle tank bag. With the tank bag you'll have the camera right in front of you and if you see something you want to shoot just unzip the tank bag and pull it out. You can add padding to it to hold the camera and an extra lens. This is what I use with a street bike.

Doug, are those bags hard case? Dust proof?

I have my Moto Marine underwater set up in a Pelican case. You can just about use it as a jack stand. Foam lines, and everything fits perfectly.

Google them, or see if there is a scuba diving shop near you.

I have to ask. What is quadding?

what about the hard cases they sell at gun shops will they work.is there a bass pro shop near you?

Pelican case, no question's about it. That's what I use when I do quad rally's, and usually we are so muddy you don't know who is who and the camera's are clean. They are expensive, but don't cheap out. You didn't buy a cheap camera, so why cheap out on protecting it. At my rig we use Pelican cases for each of our $28,000 cameras, so that also show's their quality.

Have fun quadding!

Doug, are those bags hard case? Dust proof?

They are a soft bag that will shed some water. you might be able to determine if this will work for you from the photos.

1. This shows the flap behind the zipper. This is what might keep out the dust.

TankBag2of6A.jpg

2. This shows the cover over lapping the inner flap.

TankBag3of6A.jpg

3. This shows the top of the bag. It has a map pocket and a smaller pocket both have velcro closures.

TankBag4of6A.jpg

4. This shows the bottem of the bag. There are magnets on mine to hold it to the metal tank. I know Quads have plastic tanks and there are bags that have straps to anchor them to the tank. There are also 2 flaps with magnets.

TankBag5of6A.jpg

5. This just shows one of the flaps folded over.

TankBag6of6A.jpg

I hope this gives you a little better view of what I'm describing. I just got some new foam for mine and haven't cut it out for my camera and lens yet. The bag measures 10" wide 13" long and 5" deep. It will collaps to about 3" deep. This one is about 12 years old and I think this company went out of business. Most motorcycle shops keep some in stock, I don't remember what it cost me.

I like the tank bag because it gives you fast access to your things and also if you do fall off you won't have to worry about landing on your camera like you would if you had it in a back pack.

Last edited:
Doug,

Looks like a good case, but it just wouldnt be suitable for me. I need something nearly indestructable, water and dust proof.

Oh, and Bruce. The yamy is only stuck cause a pos polaris broke down in front of it. ;o)

Most reactions

Back