quail: take two

pilgrim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I just got in from photographing the quails again.
Here's a couple.

The photo isn't actually slanted, the fence is in fact that steep.
I tried to use malachite's advice with the gettin more dof, but it wasn't working out. :? The forest was so close behind the quail, and with the telephoto it just blured. And I was shooting at f8.0, if I went any smaller the exposure was just to slow and the shots weren't turning out good. :?
quail-squaking.jpg

I like this one because it really makes me wanna try and see what the quail is looking at. I think it would make it even more intresting if it had more dof, and I had something to actually look at in the background. But the blurry background did come out kinda neat..
quailing-looking-into-dista.jpg

any comments, ideas, etc..?

Troy :D

Where were these pictures taken? Those look a little like Gambel's quail which I don't think go as far north as BC. I'm not very familiar with Valley quail and Gambel's quail differentiation but I thought Gambel's Quail had the chestnut crown.

I tried to use malachite's advice
Oh, good lord! You can listen to me, but don't take me seriously :p

You did get the DOF field down with this second set. I love the background the way you got it with these. Awsome contrast........

But it's killing me that I can't see the whole bird. I'm dying to see some side and side-front shots of these guys. You've got me tempted to break out the 300mm and do this myself now :wink: I'd totally buy the right print from you.............

I love the 1st shot, looks like the quail was talking to someone! You've got nice DOF in these shots.

great photos! but if you want, try to catch'em a bit more from one side... I mean, dont take their backs or front, but sides :)

Thanks for the comments everyone :D:D

Dr. dan, these were taken from my home, british columbia. I'm not to sure if they are gambel's quail or not.. malachite was mentioning something about them, I reckon he will know something.

speaking of malachite, dude, pull out the 300mm!! :D

next shoot i'll focus more on side shots, trying to show the entire bird.

thanks again for all the input :D

Must be Valley (California) Quail then with a little different coloring.
This has actually been driving me crazy. California Quail in Canada is the only thing I can come up with. I found one mention of Valley Quail summering in Canada and wintering in California. For a bird that can only fly short distances and can actually run just as fast, I have no idea just how far they travel. I'm at a loss............

speaking of malachite, dude, pull out the 300mm!!
Gambel's Quail in AZ stay in AZ but know to stay under stuff during the days of summer. It was only 108 degrees today but humid so it was miserable. I'll be sticking with my night time regimen and lightweight wide angle stuff for the next few months :)

Here's a Valley (California) Quail that's actually in California. A little smaller than Gambel's and more brown than red and darker grey body.

hope this guy doesn't mind me linkin' his pic :wink:

4897.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back