Quality glass

Google the lens make & model along with the word 'review'. Such as OptiPoor 5-1000mm F/1.2 Review.

OptiPoor 5-1000mm F/1.2

Where can I get one of these!?!? :shock: My budget is $200.

All kidding aside...Jack, in most (but DEFINITELY not all) cases, you get what you pay for when it comes to lenses, especially if you stick with glass from your camera's manufacturer. 3rd party lens companies have improved greatly over the years though, so don't rule them out of your search.

......Where can I get one of these!?!? :shock: My budget is $200........

There's two versions.... the older, original 'pancake' that takes 49mm filters, and the upgraded, current VR version that uses 55mm. Given your budget, I'd recommend the former. Just don't drop it onto shag carpeting.... you'll spend hours searching for it.

I hear the 800mm f5.6 VR lens is good quality, try that one....

seriously though we need some kind of budget and info on what type of shooting you do before we can make any kind of serious recommendation.

......Where can I get one of these!?!? :shock: My budget is $200........

There's two versions.... the older, original 'pancake' that takes 49mm filters, and the upgraded, current VR version that uses 55mm. Given your budget, I'd recommend the former. Just don't drop it onto shag carpeting.... you'll spend hours searching for it.

Hmm, I may consider purchasing the latter. I have a 55mm filter lying around from a macro lens I used to own. Plus, the VR would be nice to have when shooting 1000mm hand-held at 1/8th.

If the lens is white its good quality... wait... thats canon!

If the lens has a red ring around the... crap.. that's canon again..

Anything with Leica printed on it... that's it!

In short, price. But better equipment doesn't equal better photography. It just equals a better tool. The quality of the photography still depends on who's using the tool.

If the lens is white its good quality... wait... thats canon!

If the lens has a red ring around the... crap.. that's canon again..

Anything with Leica printed on it... that's it!

How 'bout Spiratone? :lol:

Canon has to do as much screaming out loud lens pimping as it can - white body/red ring. :lmao:

It's said (buy who i don't know) that Canon started painting lenses white to reduce heat buildup. The fluorite elements inside canon's lenses are prone to thermal expansion and photographers would cover the lenses to reduce the affect this had on the image quality.. soooo... to help the lens absorb less heat Canon started painting lenses with fluorite elements white.

Its on the internet so it must be true!

I hear the 800mm f5.6 VR lens is good quality, try that one....

seriously though we need some kind of budget and info on what type of shooting you do before we can make any kind of serious recommendation.

My budget is between $200 to $500

Jack M'crystal Photography

You sound like you've money to spend, but not quite the idea of what you want yet. Buying a lens isn't about just getting a "quality" lens its about getting the right lens for your personal situation and needs. That means deciding what your current gear can't do and then exploring what options are out there which will allow you to shoot what you want to shoot that your current setup won't let you shoot. Or its about identifying what your gear does well and seeing what is superior to it in the market to improve the quality of what you can already do.

Until you're in a position to put your criteria on the table its best not to buy anything and just shoot with the kit lens some more; then you'll start to get a better understanding.

CHeck out lens reviews on-line from Thom Hogan, Bjorn Rorslett, and Thom Hogan. Between those three guys, you will find advice that's easy to understand, and which pulls no punches. SOme say Ken Rockwell is full of...partially digested animal/vegetable matter...but....at times I find his directness to be welcome and refreshing.

In general, with Nikon,the more-expensive lenses are their better lenses. For example, the 35mm f/1.8 DX, the 35/2 AF-D, and the 35mm f/1.4 AF-S G...the G is the most costly by a factor of about six or so, and is the best lens they make in 35mm prime.

The "best" lens is not much good if it never gets carried, or if its length and speed does not suit your needs.

I think if you want one good DX zoom, the 16-85 is the one you want.

Is this Jack or KylesFreelance?

Do you know what you want to do? I mean you can tell a "good quality lens" simply by taking some pictures with it and seeing if everything comes sharp. And you can hold it and play with it and see if it feels smooth.

That answers your question, even though I'm pretty sure it's not the answer you're looking for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back