Quality of Refurbushed Cameras?

tcarson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!

I am looking at buying a Nikon D3200. I'm just wondering if any photog veterans have any advice on whether or not a factory refurbished camera is close to, if not just as good as, a brand new camera. I understand what refurbushed means, but I'm just wondering if maybe anyone has some insight or past experiences that may be able to help me in deciding on whether or not to buy a refurbished cam or not. Keep in mind that I will not be working professionally, strictly for hobby. BUT, I also want a camera that isn't going to crap out on me in a year or two. Is the approx. $50-$75 savings worth it, or should I just buck up and buy brand new. I'm on a fairly limited budget, but if necessary, the extra cost for dependability would be worth it to me.

Thank you to any and all help!

-Traci

I bought my d7000 new due to unfamiliarity (like you) of the entire cycle. At BestBuy I asked them if they had any demos for sale, refurb's etc but they said they weren't allowed to sell used equipment for the upper end cameras. Anything used for display purposes, or returned (open box) was returned to Nikon and then Nikon sold them as refurb'd after going through their quality control check.

Many people here have gotten refurb'd cameras with very little use. I think my d600 may have had 1800 or so. Other owners have had much less than that.

I think it's a good deal, and money well saved myself. It's just that quisiness one gets buying refurb'd until you have time spent with the new camera/lens etc.

I'd say buy it, use it alot to familiarize yourself and test it before the return time expires.

IMO, yes, the $$ savings are well worth it.
I believe it's worth saving even more money by buying a used camera.
Adorama.com, BHPhoto.com and KEH.com are 3 very reputable sellers of used camera gear, and by applying some common sense buying from private sellers is also a good option.
KEH.com includes a 6 month warranty on most of the used gear they sell. I have purchased used cameras and lenses from KEH.

A refurbished camera is MORE likely to be dependable than a brand new camera.
Every refurbished camera gets a through inspection.
Only a sampling of new cameras get the same through inspection.
In other words the vast majority of new cameras do get a through inspection.

Be aware that Nikon's warranty for refurbished cameras is for only 90 days.
However.
Nikon refurbished cameras can only be sold by authorized Nikon sellers, and most Nikon authorized sellers add their own warranty for an additional 275 days so you have warranty for a full year.

New cameras are rarely inspected. Refurbs always are.

I have two D600s. One factory new, one refurb. I cannot tell the difference without checking the SNs.

Last edited:
...Is the approx. $50-$75 savings worth it, or should I just buck up and buy brand new. I'm on a fairly limited budget, but if necessary, the extra cost for dependability would be worth it to me.
-Traci

Lets say you save $75 and you keep your camera for just 1 year. That savings would amount to about 20 CENTS a day. That "HUGE" savings would buy an additional 9 months factory warranty vs the 90 day warranty you get with a refurb. Even if the dealer extends the warranty to a full year, you will have to return the camera to them for service. For 20 cents a day, you can buy the peace of mind knowing that if something happens to your new camera, you will be able to take it to any authorized Nikon dealer for service. Is saving 20 cents a day really worth buying refurbished? Only YOU can answer that...

Best of luck with your decision.

Doug

This^

There is a good chunk of refurbished cameras that was used as store display units or handed out to some blog/website for reviewing etc. Anyhow, I picked up a refurbished D3100 a long time ago and never had an issue with it. But i highly recommend going through a reputable dealer like Adorama or BH Photo.

If you are going to buy used, then make sure you have at least a whole year of warranty. Inspected or not, used or new. Electronics break down over time. The weak link in the chain will become more apparent.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! :)

I have pretty much purchased all my cameras from Cameta.com. They have all been refurbs. AFAIK they are the only ones that extend Nikon's 90 day warranty to a year. When you send it in to them for warranty service, they just bring it to Nikon USA in Melville since it's right next door.. Some of they other places may do "in-house" warranty repairs...

Exactly when you buy a refurbished anything you know that it has been individually inspected. When you buys new item one in a thousand or so of them is checked.

I only buy refurbished or used. Never had an issue with either... adorama, keh, cameta, etc....

None of my cameras were purchased new. One refurb and the rest used. Same goes for the glass and accessories. My D90 was purchased here from PixMedic and my 50MM 1.4 and 55-200 as well.

Oops I forgot the D3100 was new.

Most reactions

Back