Quality printer/scanner options?

jrgoresko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Due to time, space, and environmental concerns, I've recently decided to make the switch from printing in a darkroom to attempting to print via scanner & printer. Unfortunately, I know very little about the specifics of doing so. I was hoping to get some recommendations on quality scanner and printer brands and models.

A good friend of mine who uses this sort of setup said that Epson and Canon are the only two competetive brands currently. Is this true?

Also, for a little more specifics regarding my printing desires, I'd like to be able to print from scanned negative images. I currently am using 35mm and medium-format negatives. I'm not sure if I'll move beyond medium-format, though I might eventually. I'd like to have the option of printing large photographs, not just 4x6, 5x7, etc.

Any info would be much appreciated. I spent about an hour routing through links to try and find comparable info, but didn't have as much hope as I would have liked.

I don't do any scanning, but for my printing I have a Canon PIXMA iP4200 - it only prints up to 8 1/2x11 though. I'm very happy with its print quality. I *think* Epson does this too, but Canon uses single cartridges for each color...not 3 colors in a single cartridge. i.e...when one color runs out, I only replace that one color rather than 3, so there is some $$$ savings there.

I want to get a large format printer that can do bigger than letter size..I'll probably get a Canon when/if I do.

I just bought an Epson RX700 from www.epson.com and it is the best scanner/printer combo I've found.

LWW

I was told about the price savings for Canon on ink, however, I was also told that Epson ink is more archival and many people have experienced notable color fading with Canon prints in short periods of time. Do you have any experience with this happening or any other experiences worth mentioning between the two?

Can you tell me why it's the best scanner/printer combo you've found or what exactly you've been using it for? Are there any downsides to having a scanner and printer in the same machine?

I've only had the Canon printer for about 6 months, so my prints probably aren't quite old enough to fade anyway..but if 6 months is considered a 'short period' I can say at least so far that it isn't true. ;)

And I honestly can't make any educated comments on an Epson... I've never owned one, so anything I said would be a repeat of whatever I've heard/read in reviews, etc...

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Specs&oid=53540921&category=Products

That is the link to the specs.

It prints in the smallest droplet size of any printer I've seen.

It scans at the highest optical resolution of any scanner/printer I've seen @ 3200 DPI.

It comes with the adapters for film and slide scanning, although I haven't tried them.

It uses 6 different ink colors. I would prefer Epson's 7 color but it isn't available in a combo unit.

It has a built in multi size card reader.

It's pictbridge capable.

It has a built in 2.5" monitor.

The ink tanks load easier than any printer I've ever used.

With 6 tanks ink waste is eliminated.

It makes beautiful prints.

On the website it's only $229.00 after rebates with free shipping.

This is my second Epson combo unit. I ruined the other after several years of heavy use by buying some ebay aftermarket black ink for doing correspondence...please don't try that, it's a false savings. The scanner still works fine and I plan on donating it.

Overall I have been pleased with both.

My $0.02. YMMV. No relationship with Epson other than a satisfied customer.

I hope this helps.

LWW

As to downsides?

It's a fairly big unit but the footprint isn't any bigger than a flatbed scanner, it's just taller.

The RX700 also has 2 paper trays, 1 for regular and 1 for photo paper.

Both have been used for a home office copier, a photo scanner, a business mailer printer, a personal use printer, and a half fast photo printing sideline biz.

If it also included a fax I would claim perfection.

I hope this also helped.

LWW

I just bought a Epson printer and I have to say how much I "LOVE IT". You do have to make sure that your settings are set up on the printer correctly or your pictures won't print out nicely.

oldnavy170 said:
I just bought a Epson printer and I have to say how much I "LOVE IT". You do have to make sure that your settings are set up on the printer correctly or your pictures won't print out nicely.

Are the settings your referring to just involved in the normal installation and setup procedure? Or, are you referring to some photo-specific settings I'd need to find out about from some different source?

If you use a Mac then settings should just be to calibrate it to which monitor you are using. On a PC I don't know.

If you use non Epson paper I know that you need to download new specs to get it to print accurately as absorbtion rates and such vary from paper to paper.

With Epson's range of available papers and prices I've never felt the need to use other brands. My $0.02. YMMV.

LWW

I was recently given an Epson C84, and i love it to death. I get fantastic prints with the right paper. Like the Canon mentioned earlier there are separate cartridges for yellow, magenta, cyan, and black.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back