Quantaray products?

yogibear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When i purchased my D80 a month ago, it came with a quantaray AF LD 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 Macro lens. The D80 came with the nikkor kit 18-135mm lens which i tend to use most of the time. My question is are Quantaray products decent? Seems like they are the mass produced cheap product of the photo world. However being new to the realm of hardware i was curious what others thought. Are they a good source for stuff like filters and other accessories?

Thanks.

Yogi

I do not own any of their products and I seldom find reviews about them as well. Now since you have the lens, what do you think about the lens that you had?

They are the mass produced cheap product of the photo world.

Like all manufacturers, they make some things VERY well, and other things mediocre and most somewhere in the middle. I don't really like their lenses, but their flash battery packs are awesome.

the majority of quantaray products are manufactured by other manufactures. for example, their filters are made by hoya and their lenses are tamron and sigma. you can usually tell the difference by looking at the box. if it has peach on it, it is sigma... pink is tamron.

The quantaray 55-200 is the tamron 55-200. Does tamron make good lenses? sure.

Most of the quantaray lenses are sigmas though. Flashes are sunpaks.

They're just rebranded.

Quantary lenses are always re-branded sigma or tamron lenses. the 18-200's are sigma, the 70-300 is tamron, as is the 55-200.

We sell them through ritz, there no better or worse than there branded compatriots.

I didn't realize they where Hoya filters though, that would explain why the quality is there...

You can get the occasional good one, I was given a quantaray 70-300 and thought it was gonna be junk. In all reality it can be quite sharp, as sharp as some other ones, but sufficient. But I won't buy their glass, I will buy the filters and flash battery packs though.

Ok good to know. Thanks for the help. The lens takes decently sharp photos and i have not been disappointed when using it thus far. Just a curiosity that popped up when i visited our local ritz and noticed the abundance of quantaray supplies.

Most reactions

Back