Quantum Turbo lead acid to NiMH conversion.

WilliamLawrence

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems to me you could use a pack of 6 C Cell NiMH batteries to replace the 8v lead battery in the Quantum Turbo. This workhorse will then have a pack that will cycle faster and have double the capacity depending on your needs and budget. NiMH batteries are available up to 6ah the more amp hours the more the cost. The only problem would be charging. I wouldn't charge in case. I'd use an off board charger. NiMH batteries don't like being charged in series. You will get unbalanced charging between cells. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or has another battery they like. The lead acid options don't seem as good as they used to be. When first getting the Quantum turbo the original battery lasted 6 years. It's now down to 1 year. William Lawrence

Another idea to quadruple the capacity of the Quantum Turbo is to use D cell NiMH. It's available up to 12ah. It may not fit in the pouch though.

The Quantum Turbo 3 looks pretty good. Higher capacity than the previous models...and a locking cord connection, which is awesome.

If you're thinking of going to the trouble of hacking a Turbo, you could probably just build/find a case to hold your C or D cells.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back