Quasi-abstract portrait

Amazing picture. Here is my input from the average joe(because I know nothing) the very top of her nose looks kind of blurry. Really cool picture though.

that pitcher makes me go *wow*

Shark said:
Being as this was my first experiment with using layers, I know it's not perfect (for example, there's some hard detail left in just under the eye). But someone more trained in PS than me...is this done okay?

do0d, if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have known you were a noob at photoshop. sounds like that book is really helping your work.
i never used a book and i didnt know about layers for a year!
i think maxwel's observation is a good one. the first b+w was sharper in that nose area. it seems like that would naturally be sharper, as it is about the same distance from the camera as the eye... but really it's not all that noticable. Making the nose blurrier brings more focus to the eye, but less of a realistic flare (assuming the blur is noticed)

!i like it!

I prefer the 100% BW image, but I have noticed that people react very strongly to selective coloring in portraits of folks they know. I really like the tight composition; I don't perceive it as abstract at all, but it's a wonderful detail. I like your reflection, and that of the environment, in the eye. For some reason I look for this kind of thing, and had noticed it even before you pointed it out. Maybe it's because I'm a photographer, but it always adds interest for me.

I'm one of those people who adores the splash of color ( love the color in itself ! ) in this b&w .....

I agree with ksmatt on the point he made about leaving the detail in her eye.
My slant/interpretation ...... the eye is the window to her soul ( the vibrant color symbolizes life/soul within ) , the reflected balcony is like a hand on a clock and your reflection is in the centre of the 'clock' ( you , of course , symbolizing the person she's sharing her time/life with ).
Don't get me started on the water and skyline ... many interpretations to be had there :D
It tells a story.Thats why I , personally , like the reflection that is in her eye....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back