Questin About Colored Glowing Reflections

Naicidrac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,
I am really not sure hot to define what I want, but I am looking for information on making a glowing light coming from an object. I just wanted to know if anyone can point me in the right direction or tell me a tutorial on making colored reflections. I guess what I am trying to explain is this. I am wanting to make like a blue glowing object and I want it to be dark in the room and I want to have a person looking at the blue glowing object and I want them to have blue light all over their face and such. I think I can do most of it, but I am just not sure on the best way to make the blue light that is hitting the person look right. I was just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to finding out a tutorial or a step by step way to accomplish a real good realistic colored glow on a person?

Thanks for anything that you guys can offer.

The best way, that I can think of...would be to photograph the person with a light on them, that is coming from the position of the glowing light that you want to create. You could even make the light the color that you want, then the PS work would be minimal.

Yes I have thought about that too. Maybe I could use a small stobe and then select all the highlights and change them that way. I know I could paint one and layermask, but I just wanted to see what all you guys thought. Thanks Big Mike and if there are any more ideas, please keep them coming.

I was playing around with my camera after I got it and this worked for me. I got a fish tank I had laying around, turned is sideways, added a red light under (mini spotlight seem to work best). I then covered the sides with a black heavy cloth and for the top I left a hole in the material where I wanted the object to glow. Any other glass would work, place it over a box, cover the box and play around until you get the light you want. If you want the light shining towards the person put a second light under pointing to them. Hard to explain without a diagram but I hope you get the gist of it. I would post the photos but since I was just playing around did not keep any but it worked even better than I thought. And I used the darkest room I have and the light colour reflected of the object and me when I wanted the light to look as it was glowing to me. It was a lot of playing with camera settings and where the light pointed but I liked the effect it gave me. More complicated than what Mike says though lol.

If you want the reflections on a shiny object, like a knife, then don't light the object directly. Set the coloured light to light up a large sheet of white paper, and then angle everything so you can see the reflection of the paper in the reflective surface.

Thanks to all and these are great ideas. I guess I am looking into more of a photoshop effect. I do a ton of PP and I am getting close. Sometimes I like to do more with the camera and less with photoshop, but in the past year or so I have been getting more involved with photoshop. I wanted to get ideas about using photoshop. Thanks for all of these ideas, I really appreciate it.

Here is a quick little example. I just googled the word "sword" and I found this image below. These are not my images and I am just using them for this example. I can make it appear to glow and I can also add that glowing effect over the handle, but on a person I am haveing a hard time. I am trying to get that glowing light coming from an object on a person. I think it will help if I make the rest of the image very dark.

pic001.jpg

glow001.jpg

Most reactions

Back