Question about a book

Infinite_Day

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking around the house and noticed my wife still has a book from when she took a phtography class in college. It's "The New Manual of Photography" by John Hedgecoe. I was wondering if anybody has read or knows anything about this book. I'm working on technique I don't want to start reading what is essentially a text book if it's going to end up being a waste of time. It's from 2003 but the info on technique and exposure should still be good as long as the book is quality. Thanks for any input in advance!

I don't know that book, but I have an older book by Hedgecoe and remember it being useful. He is (was?) a good photographer and provided good explanations of principles of lighting, exposure, etc. that will always be relevant. Worry about not reading enough rather than too much.

I've read a few of John Hedgecoe's books. Definitely worth the read IMO.

And yes, the basics of photography haven't changed in 100 years....so you can still learn a lot of books written before the digital age.

Read the book, and then make up your own mind if it was worth the read or not.

Read the book, and then make up your own mind if it was worth the read or not.

I just wanted to get some input. If it was not a quality book, I was going to head to the library to see what they have. I understand you're trying to promote critical thinking but I just didn't want to read a 400 page book if I am not going to get much out of it. I have a B.S. in Microbiology - I've read enough bland texts in my life already.

Thanks for the input. I skimmed it some and think I'll give it a read at your recommendation.

Most reactions

Back