question about a model release in terms of a wedding

msf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a wedding coming up this weekend, and I want to be able to use the photos I take in my portfolio.

So my question is do I just have the bride/groom sign the model release, or everyone that are in the pictures.

If you get everyone, that could be rather bothersome since that could be alot of people.

Spend a few dollars, sit down with a lawyer and have him explain copyright law to you and assist you in drawing up the necessary paperwork.

Spend a few dollars, sit down with a lawyer and have him explain copyright law to you and assist you in drawing up the necessary paperwork.

Thanks, but I understand how copyright law works. Im just curious if I need a model release signed just by the bride and groom, or by the entire wedding party and family members. I believe your normally get it signed just by the bride and groom, but I can see how the others could complain later.

Here's what mine says:

[FONT=&quot]3. COPYRIGHTS[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Captured Visions Photography retains all copyrights to all images. Client shall not copy or reproduce images in any way without express written permission of Captured Visions Photography. If Client purchases a disc with high-resolution image files or purchases a package that includes a disc with high-resolution image files, a print release shall be signed and given to the Client. A print release gives the Client permission to print photos at whatever lab they so choose, or from their own printer at home. Both Captured Visions Photography and the Client shall sign the release. Client shall not use images online or in any commercial use. Captured Visions Photography retains the right to use images for advertising, display, publication, and professional print competitions. Captured Visions Photography is entitled to all monies gained through the unauthorized use or sale of images. Violators of Federal Copyright Law will be subject to civil and criminal penalties.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. MODEL RELEASE[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This contract serves as a model release giving Captured Visions Photography the irrevocable right to use the photographs in all forms and in all media and in all manners, without any restriction as to changes or alterations, for advertising, trade, promotion, exhibition, or any other lawful purposes. Captured Visions Photography can grant use of the images to third parties and all compensation for use and credit for the images remain the property of Captured Visions Photography. Client waives any right to inspect or approve the photograph(s), finished version(s) incorporating the photograph(s), or the use to which it may be applied, including written copy that may be created and appear in connection therewith. This release is binding on the Client, their legal representatives, heirs, and assigns.[/FONT]

I simply have it in my contract that I may use the images in my website and portfolio for promotional use. clients who wish to opt out of that may, but by signing the contract they agree that i can use the images however i like.

[FONT=&quot]4. MODEL RELEASE[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This contract serves as a model release giving Captured Visions Photography the irrevocable right to use the photographs in all forms and in all media and in all manners, without any restriction as to changes or alterations, for advertising, trade, promotion, exhibition, or any other lawful purposes. Captured Visions Photography can grant use of the images to third parties and all compensation for use and credit for the images remain the property of Captured Visions Photography. Client waives any right to inspect or approve the photograph(s), finished version(s) incorporating the photograph(s), or the use to which it may be applied, including written copy that may be created and appear in connection therewith. This release is binding on the Client, their legal representatives, heirs, and assigns.[/FONT]

This is good but I tend to view contracts as protection for both sides of the transaction. I added a sentence to protect the bride, groom and other parties involved. It's also in my TFCD and commercial model releases.

"I further release the Photographer, or others for whom he is acting, from any claims for remuneration associated with any damage, foreseen or unforeseen, associated with the proper commercial or artistic use of these images unless it can be shown that said reproduction was maliciously caused, produced and published for the sole purpose of subjecting me to conspicuous ridicule, scandal, reproach, scorn and indignity." (emphasis mine)

Here's what mine says:

[FONT=&quot]3. COPYRIGHTS[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Captured Visions Photography retains all copyrights to all images. Client shall not copy or reproduce images in any way without express written permission of Captured Visions Photography. If Client purchases a disc with high-resolution image files or purchases a package that includes a disc with high-resolution image files, a print release shall be signed and given to the Client. A print release gives the Client permission to print photos at whatever lab they so choose, or from their own printer at home. Both Captured Visions Photography and the Client shall sign the release. Client shall not use images online or in any commercial use. Captured Visions Photography retains the right to use images for advertising, display, publication, and professional print competitions. Captured Visions Photography is entitled to all monies gained through the unauthorized use or sale of images. Violators of Federal Copyright Law will be subject to civil and criminal penalties.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. MODEL RELEASE[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

interested in seeing your entire contract!! :) looks awesome and detailed!

Most reactions

Back