Question about a release

First three songs has been industry standard for YEARS.

Petty restrictive. The music biz has made deals like this, or WORSE, for years now.

Pretty draconian, but they own the artists, and control rights, tightly.

You are allowed to shoot for THEm, and THEY own they copyright to photos of their "acts". Depressing, but yeah, this is not widely known outside of the business.

I understood the rest of it. My only question was literally about whether or not I could share on my site or if only the publication could.

Seemed to take a different turn. But it’s always good for discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

concert contract.jpg

Seems clear; the publication is with ONE site; if you want others to see the photos, you should LINK to them.

Last edited:
Aren't people always saying posting/sharing on social media is editorial use and permission/releases aren't needed?? Of course in these cases it functions as promotion too... Were these photos unpublished? Were they shared to social media? which would've put them under the Terms & Conditions of the website where the photos were shared... This seems to be a photographer who's paparazzi and for whatever reason didn't sell/license the photos to a tabloid and now wants to get some money out of them.

What I'm not sure about is if shooting for a publication that a venue/manager etc. would ask a photographer to sign a form allowing them seemingly unlimited usage. Probably it would be good to look into resources from pro photographers organizations like PPA or ASMP etc., maybe clarify this for future reference.

I agree Derrel it's probably best to link to the website where the photos were used/published.

Most reactions

Back