Question about a SDHC memory card with Nikon D5000

four321zero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi i got a Nikon D5000 with a 4 GB lexar multi - use memory card. It works fine when it comes to saving images and transfering them to my PC. However I am unable to transfer any pics or raw files from my PC back to my memory card. Have even tried it on a diff PC and with a card reader too. Nothing seems to make it work. On another forum I was informed that this is the way it is supposed to be. But i cant understand why and how it can be locked in such a manner that it can only save data via a camera and not from a PC. On the other hand i called customer service and i was told that the problem is with the memory card but i didnt have much confidence in the rep who answered me because she didnt sound too sure or well informed. Can someone using DSLRs please tell me whether this is a card issue or is this how it is supposed to be?

I can save pictures from Pc to memory card. I've done it once or twice but why do you want to do this? You could buy a flash drive instead.

Appreciate your reply.

My friend borrowed my cam for a couple of weeks so he took a back up of all my raw images from my memory card to his PC. Now that he's returned it i am trying to put them back on the card so I can process the images to jpg from my cam. I do have a software for it but my cam seems much easier.

After you plug your card reader in, open your windows explorer and your PC should have recognized a new drive. SD cards aren't specific to cameras or any other device - they're simply another "disk drive" that data can be saved to; they don't care what kind of data they have on them. You should be able to click on it, browse it, etc. If you can't, then there's a problem with your PC recognizing the card reader - it's highly unlikely that the memory card itself is the problem as far as PC compatibility goes.

When you plug in your memory card, hopefully you get a dialogue asking you what you want to do? If so, just browse the memory card. If it's popping up any other program, then it's detecting the card just fine and you likely just need to make sure you're trying to copy and paste correctly.

It's also worth mentioning that you've ensured that:
1 - the card is not physically "locked" - it has a little toggle you can move on the actual card itself.
2 - the card is not full already.

Hi Dakkon,
My card is being detected in windows explorer as another disk drive.
Yes the autorun prompts me to select between browse files, take no option or select from a list of programs. I can browse the files just fine.

I am copying correctly too. Control+c or right click + copy on the file from my hard disk. However when i right click inside the memory card folder, the paste option is always greyed out. Control+v does nothing. There are no error messages popping up too.

My card has a little white thing that appears to be a switch but i guess it is not because i cant toggle it and it has nothing written by it that says lock. Anyways from what i understand if it was write protected it wouldnt allow my camera to saved the captured images on the card too.

I cant figure if its a problem with my card or whether its just that i cant get windows to recognize it correctly. A little confused.

Most reactions

Back