Question about buying print sheets second-hand

Kristov

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, basically saw a craigslist ad. Guy says he bought a box of 100 paper, but the wrong type. Never opened, and recently purchased. He has the receipt, box is apparently still factory sealed, and he has only had the paper for about a month. He is asking $55 for the box, reason being the photoshop won't allow him to return it.

This seems like a good deal, as long as it's not opened...right? I mean it is the correct type I need, I'll be picking up in person, so can inspect the seals and such. My only real worry is how hard is it to screw up print paper without opening the box? Thoughts? Opinions? Recommendations? Please if you have any experience buying potentially questionable paper, feel free to comment. Also is there a way to test the paper at all, ie without being in a darkroom and actually printing with it?

The seller may be completely honest.

But there is a second scenario. Consider that you have an old box of paper. You go to the store and buy a new box. You now have a recent receipt. You advertise the paper, intending to sell the old box with the new receipt while you use the new paper yourself.

In answer to your last question: No, but change 'printing with' to 'developing'.

ummmm I would say offer him $30 for it. Its very easy for him to have opened the box and bag inside the box to look at the paper not realizing he just ruined all his paper... I would be VERY careful like that. As far as I know the only way to tell would be to try and make a print on it, if it works great if not your out $55 bucks. If the sels are in tack... then why not? even if the box was opened I believe MOST companies seal the light bag on the inside so you can check that too.

Story sounds a little sketchy.... I would pass and just spend a little more and buy a box. The thing is... there is a reason the store wont take it back... if the box was un-opened why wouldn't they? I got the wrong paper a couple times and returned it no problem seeing as the seal wasn't broken.

it is very common for photostore not to take returns on light sensitive materials and most have posted signs.

I can't image someone going to all the trouble to switch out a box, however, if you don't know the individual you might be careful. Perhaps you could ask him to allow you to test one sheet in his darkroom with him in attendance.

I would love to do a quick test with him in the darkroom, it's just my schools dark room is all, so he'd have to go there. I'm a bit sketchy on the idea (Knowing heat and light can ruin the entire thing...).

I'll see if he is willing to let me test it, just to be sure. Thank you for the replies, they are very much appreciated. :D

Jeez, you guys worry too much!

Well, thought I'd update everyone. Bought them, and tested, paper is perfect. I appreciate the comments, and time everyone took. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back