question about camera bags?

polock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i am looking for a bag a little bit smaller than a backpack that i can fit my rebel xt with my 28-135 lens attached as well as my filters, and a nifty fifty in. The main thing i am looking for is not to have to detach the lens from the camera just to put it in the bag so if i am walking along and see something, i can pull out my camera and have it ready to shoot. looking to spend under 100.00

There are plenty of bags that would fit that descriptions.

Think about what type of bag you want. Backpack, shoulder bag or maybe a sling style bag.

I use and recommend Lowepro bags but there are other good brands as well.

Are you really looking for a bag or just something to protect the camera?

If something just to protect the camera, I've used the Zing and it works pretty well:

http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=zing

lens stays on the body and access to the camera is pretty quick. There are also top loader style bags that will accommodate your needs plus provide additional storage for small things. I don't have any experience with them to make a specific recommendation though

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Toploading,8.htm

I"m in same boat...I can't stand the gadget bag that came with my Rebel. Looking for laptop/camera bag and it looks like Lowerpro is probably going to be my choice.

Not to butt into your thread for my own reasons, but since the thread is already started, I figured I'd ask for recommendations here.

I'm looking for a good walk around bag (so, not too bulky) that will fit my D60 (with lens attached) and space for one more lens (most likely the 70-300mm VR lens).
I already have a Lowepro Rezo 190 AW, but that's too bulky for me to carry to parks or other simple outings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

For me its price right now. Tamracs look really nice but Lowerpro seem a bit cheaper.

Yes, for this tote around bag that I'm looking for, I'm wanting to go less expensive. Not cheapened in quality, but for what I want, I think I should be able to find something cheaper than what I spent on my lowepro.
But I really know nothing about camera bags. I bought my lowepro on recommendation, but AFTER I went to Best Buy and checked out the bags for myself.

I recommend getting something that will hold everything you need, water resistant, maybe insulated.

There's not really a whole lot to know its really preference. You get what you pay for.

When choosing a camera bag, the best recommendation by most is to go out to your local camera store and physically try out the bags for yourself. Brands like Lowepro, Tamrac and even Billingham have their advantages and disadvantages.

My personal recommendation is to find a backpack that won't scream out "DSLR and Laptop INSIDE!"

Also look into using a backpack you already own and adding padding or foam composites to your gear.

To the OP I would suggest the Tamrac Velocity series. I have 2 of them and use the larger (Veolcity 7) all the time. I carry a D70s with kit lens, a 70-300, a 50mm, a doubler, 2 batterys, filters and can even squeeze in a flash. The smaller one I have is more suited to what you need to carry I think it was the Velocity 5 or 6.

I like being able to pull my camera out and be ready to shoot in a few seconds but do not like always having the sling over my shoulder. I carry it like a standard bag a lot of the time.

I also have the Computrekker AW and would recommend it for someone that needs to pack a laptop and a LOT of gear. There is so much room in that thing I dont know what to do with it all :D

Here is one more option to consider, some of them are a little higher priced but looks like nice styles of bags. I am considering one myself

http://www.tenba.com/

I'm pretty sure your camara + two lens will fit in Lowepro Sling 100. If you want to carry a bit more, Sling 200. Both are shoulder packs which doesn't bother me, but I read some people prefer to distribute weight equally between both shoulders. These backpacks scream CAMERA to me though :)

For something inconspicuous, Domke F803 or 5XB (soemthing like that). These are canvas messenger style bags. I have the F803 and when carrying that on one shoulder with diaper bag on other shoulder, the casual observer will not be able to tell which is a camera bag. New, the 5XB is about $70 with F803 a little over $100. I believe either bag will work for your camera+2 lens requirement. The F803 can carry much more.

I have the Tamrac Adventure 6 backpak and it carries D40 with 55-200 attached, 18-55 lens and a speedflash. I carry my personal items in the top of the bag and am not carrying a separate purse right now. I can even carry a pull-up for my little one in the top compartment. It is truly a multi-tasking bag.

Also consider the Lowepro Fastpack 100 or Tamrac Expedition 3. That's well within your budget.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back