Question about Canon rebel series

Amnesic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am very interested in buying one of the Canon rebel series cameras. I am confused though on what I should buy. I have been comparing the XS, XTi and XSi. From what I understand the XS is the newest of the three. But the XTi is only $50 more in some places. What is the major difference between the XTi and XS?

Is it worth it to spend the extra money and buy the XSi? Are there any newer cameras coming out soon?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions. I am just getting very bored with my point and shoot camera and need some advice.

The Current models are the XS and XSi, the XT and XTi are the previous generation and are being phased out of the lineup.

The XS and XSi are very recent so the probably have another 12-18 months or so until a replacement comes along. I think the main difference in the XS and XSi is just pixel count, but other people probably know better than me. Try looking up the reviews on dpreview.com, they are in depth and have comparisons, and test shots.

Thanks!

Now that I have done some more research it seems like I should be comparing more between the XSi and the 30D. The 30D would not be considered out dated right? I know its a semi professional camera which is much better than the entry level XSi. But is it worth spending the extra money on?

I also have to keep budget in mind considering I am in college and don't have a large amount of money to spend on a camera.

Go to Canon's site, compare every spec. Go to dpreview.com and read every page of the review for any and all cameras you are considering. Go to a camera shop and physically hold and feel the cameras. If the store and your budget will allow it, rent them for a day or two and go mess with them. Buying a camera is ultimately a very personal decision and while everyone here can share opinions and advice, you are the only person who can ultimately decide what camera is right for you.

XT -> XTi -> XSi
That's the evolution of the Rebel lineup. The XS was released a bit after the XSi as sort of a "transition" camera for people used to point-and-shoots. It's smaller than any of the Rebels, and probably slightly more limited in functionality, though still perfectly capable.

The 30D belongs to the same generation as the XTi, and is a minor upgrade to the 20D. As far as image quality it is comparable to the XT, but with far better build quality and ergonomics, as well as controls and ease-of-use. I upgraded to a 30D from an XT, and I love it. Much better than the XT. You should be able to get one for $500 used.

Although the 30D is certainly not outdated, the 40D is closer to the XSi generationally. If you're considering an xxD series, I would closely compare the two and see what fits your needs and budget. Both are great cameras, and you will go wrong with neither.

My suggestion would be to go with a used 30D. You won't see a significant increase in image quality between the 30D and the 40D or the XSi. You're just paying for more megapixels, and a few new functions (namely LiveView).

i personally like the xt more then any of the cameras... to me it seems as time passed canon made the quality cheaper and cheaper because they wanna cram more technology into the camera for a cheaper price. on the xs and xsi the on of swtich seems like i can snap it of without trying and the setting ring or w.e. u wanna call it next to the on of switch too seems extremely flimsy, thats just one thing, i can go on and on. the xt may not have the better features but in my opinion they seem useless, well most of them. if i was u i would shoot for the xti or xt, they may be older but i think they are better. or u can go for the 30d like frxnz kafka said, i myself am planning on getting the 40d sometime soon because i need the faster fps

Alright thanks everyone. I am going to go check them all out in person first.

The 30D in electronics standards might be considered outdated(there is a 40D and a brand new 50D with mixed reviews), but in reality its still pretty up to par. I shoot with a couple of 20D's and I still don't see a significant reason to upgrade. The 30D is basically the same as a 20D, but with a few improvements, For Image quality, they are actually the same sensor and processor.

First thing although the 30D is discontinued, There are still plenty to be had brand new for $649 from Adoroma and others. It is a pretty fantastic camera. the first thing you notice is that the build quality is very solid and it has a good sized comfortable grip(the grip on the rebels is thin and plasticy) The camera is a good performer, 8mp is plenty for just about any size print you would normally want(16x20 is no problem, even biger with the right photo) it shoots a fast 5fps, I'm pretty sure that creams any of the rebels series, ISO 100-1600, and even though some people think that its morally wrong to use the "H", it gives you a usable ISO 3200. Yes there is noise but a well exposed photo still looks better that any point and shoot camera could even dream about, an a 8x10 ISO 3200 print still looks pretty darn good hanging on the wall.

I find the 30D is a lot of camera for the money.

I have not done or even looked for any side-by-side tests between these cameras and the newest ones, because frankly It a wast of my time, I know that the 20D gives me great quality for my needs and if I second guess myself every time a new camera is released i would probably beat my head against the wall until the neighbors called the police.

I you want a pretty fast camera with a solid feel, good build, and the ability to produce high quality photos, the 30D, is a good fit.

$650 is reasonable for a new 30D. If you don't mind used, than you can find tons of used 20/30/40D's on craigslist, especially in New York. Also, www.Keh.com is a good seller of used stuff. And I you don't mind an older model, the 20D is almost exactly the same camera as the 30D minus a few minor changes(bigger LCD, addition of a spot meter, etc.) and a 20D goes for arround $400 used. Then you have more $$ to put into lenses.

If you cant find a 30D to hold, I feels pretty much the same as a 40D/50D, there are very minor differences. I think the same goes for the XT and XSi, very simmilar quality.

My only problem is coming up with the money. I was going to take advantage of Amazons no interest for 12 months card. I am tight on money and that would help greatly.

From everything I have read it seems the 30d is basically a no brainer and would be the best camera to buy. Considering it will only be like a $70 difference to the XSi. The only thing important might be that the 30d does not come with a warranty.

I personally would rather not buy a used camera, for the reason of how I would purchase it.

Edit: Just learned now that the 30d is not eligible for the no interest for 12 months card at amazon. Only the XSi is... that creates a problem.

Last edited:
You can find the 30D on amazon(sold by adoroma), and I would think that it still carries a Canon factory warranty because it's still new. But I couldn't tell you for sure without checking into it.

Have you considered a lens to start with? And a general price range? Tamron makes a real goo 17-50 f/2.8 for about $400, so you would be at about a grand total. If you need to go cheap, a canon kit 18-55 are practically free, and there are a few other canon lenses that are not bad, that are bundled with cameras and often resold cheap.

Then there is the old standby, the Canon 50mm 1.8, its a really cheap feeling, but quite optically good prime for about $80 also availible on amazon, that would be a good lens to get you started.

Well I was looking at cameras with the lenses not just bodies. Is it better to just buy the body then the lens separate?

Alright I might just splurge and buy the 40D. It comes with the 28-135mm lens. Should I stick with that lens or get a better one? The thing is, I wont have much money to spend on a lens but if its worth it to get a much better one I will think about it. I generally like to take macro, landscape, and animal photos.

If the kit lens is not that great I don't want to be stuck with it. I won't really be able to buy another lens for awhile so I just want to understand if I am in the right direction. Again sorry for asking all these questions, but everyone has been very helpful.

Most reactions

Back