Question about Canon rebel series

If you get the 40D with that kit lens, it wont work well for macro. It also lacks the range that the 18-200 could get you. It would cost you a bit more than the "kit", but you get way more range. Once you figure out what you shoot more of you can get more specific lenses. the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS will travel well, give you the wider focal length for your landscape shots and get you a little closer for your wildlife shots.

EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - about 400 bucks

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro - about 400 bucks
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM - about 850 bucks
EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM - about 950 bucks

so as you can see, you can spend 400 bucks on one lens and get decent IQ, or you can spend 2200 bucks and get very good IQ and carry a lot more weight.

the kit lens isnt terrible but it could use an improvement. I have the XSi and i LOVE it!! i currently just have the kit lense and it does more than get the job done for me. at school i dont really shoot much but at home i do of people, my car, scenery and more. the kit lens does have it limitations but it does work while you're getting to know your camera.

XSi has 12MP as opposed to 8MP of the 30D
The ??D series is better, I suggest a 40D if you can afford it, if not get an XSi

Dont get something too old! There are some good advantages of new cameras, better processor for example... And more MP if you need em..

EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - about 400 bucks $550
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro - about 400 bucks $365
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM - about 850 bucks $580
EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM - about 950 bucks $880
Fixed your post.
Consider the $410 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP, as well.

The EOS 40D with EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens is under $950 now and the Rebel XSi with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens is under $640. While the 18-55mm IS kit lens isn't as good as the Tamron, the price difference between the camera alone and the kit with the lens is only about $75, making the kit lens an excellent bargain.

Last edited:
Fixed your post.
Consider the $410 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP, as well.

The EOS 40D with EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens is under $950 now and the Rebel XSi with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens is under $640. While the 18-55mm IS kit lens isn't as good as the Tamron, the price difference between the camera alone and the kit with the lens is only about $75, making the kit lens an excellent bargain.

So you are saying if I were to buy the XSi it would be worth it to get it with the kit lens. But if I buy the 40D I should probably just buy the body.

Also can all lenses fit both the XSi and 40D? As in if you buy a lens that works for the 40D it will also work with the XSi.

All Canon auto-focus lenses or other lenses made for the Canon EF or EF-S mount will work on the Rebel XT, XS, XTi or XSi, or EOS 30D, 40D or 50D cameras, as you choose. The Canon EF mount has been around since 1987.

Which lenses you choose will depend on the type of photography that you want to do and how much you are willing to spend.

The 18-55mm focal length range of the kit lens included with the Rebel XS and XSi is a good range for landscapes, portraits and general photography. The kit lens for the XS and XSi includes optical image stabilization (to allow hand-held shots with longer exposures that would otherwise require a tripod) and better image quality than the (now-discontinued) 18-55mm USM kit lens that came with the Rebel XT and XTi. It lacks a wide aperture (for low-light photography and shallow depth of field for portraits). The kit lens does not have the telephoto reach that you might want for wildlife or sports photography. It also lacks the ability to focus very close, which you might like for extreme macro photography.

The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens covers about the same range of focal lengths as the 18-55mm kit lens, but it has a wide aperture and is a higher quality lens.

The 28-135mm IS lens included with the EOS 40D kit is okay, but the 28mm is not as wide as one might like for some landscape photography. On these Canon DSLR cameras with an APS-C size sensor, there is a 1.6 field of view crop factor that means that the 28mm lens provides a field of view equivalent to a 45mm lens on a camera with a full-frame sensor or film.

in macro mode, my xsi kit lense gets pretty close to sugjects. i dont think its as bad as lens as its hyped up to be. lets just say it holds up well until a replacement comes

So you are saying if I were to buy the XSi it would be worth it to get it with the kit lens. But if I buy the 40D I should probably just buy the body.

Also can all lenses fit both the XSi and 40D? As in if you buy a lens that works for the 40D it will also work with the XSi.
The kit lens that comes with the 40D is excellent lens. I use the 28-135mm on my 30D and I love it. The one that comes with the XSi is decent as far as kit lenses go, but you can do much better for not much more money if you buy the body and a 3rd party lens.

Any lens that will fit on an XSi will fit on a 40D, and any that will fit on a 40D will fit on an XSi.

If your only concern as far as buying used is the warranty, I suggest buying used from a company like B&H or Adorama. I believe their used products come with a 1-year warranty (double check me on that though).

Alright I am finally coming to a decision. I am pretty settled on buying the 40D body. Now if I was to get just one lens what should I buy?

Jklersy you recommended the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS as the one lens I should buy right? I am sorry if I am turning into a real pain in the ass, but this is a lot of money and I want to make sure I am buying the right stuff.

Alright I am finally coming to a decision. I am pretty settled on buying the 40D body. Now if I was to get just one lens what should I buy?

Jklersy you recommended the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS as the one lens I should buy right? I am sorry if I am turning into a real pain in the ass, but this is a lot of money and I want to make sure I am buying the right stuff.
I would really suggest the 28-135mm or the 18-75mm over the 18-200mm. Long-range zooms like that aren't really good at anything except letting you use one lens for everything. If you find yourself need more reach, or a wider lens later on, you can add on a nicer lens.

If you do the 40D, it only costs about $100 more to get it with the 28-135, and its supposed to be a pretty good lens. I would not recommend the 18-200, imo its too much compromise in quality just to get the range. I know that there is some convenience in having that huge zoom range, but the point of interchangeable lenses, Is that you can change them to whatever works best for a given situation. I personally would buy one lens to start, then build your collection from there.

One camera and one lens? I would say the 40D and the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

If you don't have that kind of money, start with the 28-135, because its pretty good and cheap, you can also easily resell the 28-135 for at least $200, and put that into another lens.

Alright I bought the Canon 40D with the kit lens. Thanks for your help everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back