Question about D40 lenses...

PoohBearGS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I understand that there are a limited number of replacement lenses that will work with the Nikon D40. I am not so concerned about this because I don't currently have any old lenses that I want to use with a D40, should I choose to get one.

My question is this...is this a temporary problem? Are some of the other lens manufacturers going to eventually come out with lenses that are compatible with the D40?

As a new DSLR owner, will it be enough for me for quite a while to have the kit lens, along with the 55-200 for the upgrade once I get used to the camera? Or am I going to end up regretting the fact that I can't get a better lens for less than $500 (and often quite more than $500)?

I thought I had decided on the Canon Rebel XT, but after handling both of them at the store the other day, I think I like the feel of the Nikon better. Therefore, I am starting back at the beginning of my camera research. Anything beyond the Rebel XT or Nikon D40 are, unfortunately, out of my current price range. But I could see upgrading the Nikon in a few years, based on how into photography I actually get.

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer! I am sure you get sick of beating the dead horse that is the Nikon vs. Canon debate...but people like me sure do appreciate it!

Hi, i have the D40 and im loving it. The problem with the lenses is that D40/x auto focus only on AF-S lenses.
Other lenses i believe would be ok but you'll have to focus manual.

There are a lot of AF-S lens out there and I think the pro 18-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 are AF-S lens:) The biggest problem is with the fast prime lens. You (and I) will have to manually focus them.

Nikon shot themselves in the foot with the D40. If they were thinking they would have taken a little extra time to develope AF-S prime lenses like a 50mm 1.8 and 80mm 1.8. It's sad to pay nearly 1000 dollars and the fastest lens you get is 2.8. Yeah it works well for beginners, but most people that are looking for a nice selection of FAST lenses will probably look elsewhere.

Nikon shot themselves in the foot with the D40

Go to the flickr website in my sig below and you'll see the photos I've taken w/my D40x and none of them are of any feet.:mrgreen::meh::lol::er:

have a good one
3Eo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back