Question about Elements

Harris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hoping someone here can help me with a question that I'm sure is a stupid one.

I just got Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac, and trying to practice minor tweaks with it, BUT I cannot get it to accept any raw files off of my Rebel Xsi.

The only files it allows me to work with are .jpeg - all my raw files are .CR2, and that file type is "not supported"?? What am I missing here? shooting in Raw is supposed to give me more leeway with post processing, but Elements is telling me no?

Any help is appreciated.

You need to update ACR to 4.6 before the RAW files from your XSi can been "seen" by Elements 6.

ACR 4.6 For Mac Download Page

Be sure to read the installation instructions on that page.

Firstly, thank you guys for the help.

Tried this, but cannot for the life of me find the file that the instructions are telling me to locate. Even tried searching the whole computer and have yet to find the file

b. Photoshop Elements 6: Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats

Any ideas?

Ok, I went to adobe's "support page" and found the updates - here's exactly what it tells me to do:

To install with Adobe Photoshop Elements:

1. Exit Photoshop Elements and Adobe Bridge
2. Open the Finder
3. Navigate to the root of the local disk (not the user's home folder).
4. Navigate to location designated by your version of Photoshop Elements: (Please read directory carefully)
a. Photoshop Elements 4.01: Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS2/File Formats
b. Photoshop Elements 6: Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats

5. Move the existing plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw, from the download into the same folder as in Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop Elements or Adobe Bridge.

Ok, I got my Mac because I am not a computer programmer! Step 3 - WHAT?? I cna't even find (using the search function in finder) the folder mentioned in step 4.

Someone please simplify some things for me.....

The root directory is / . And that's it. In Terminal you can navigate to this easily with the command "cd /". In the Finder, it is displayed as your system drive; if your system drive is simply called "Macintosh HD" as it is on almost all (since so few bother to rename them; I do...keeps my brain from melting and it looks nicer) Macs, it will be displayed in the Finder under drives as "Macintosh HD". Piece of cake. Then just navigate to the folder from there in step 4a or 4b depending.

It's important to note that a user's home folder has a similar Library folder, but is contained in /Users%usershortname%Library/ . This is not the folder you want to install the plug-ins to.

The root directory is / . And that's it. In Terminal you can navigate to this easily with the command "cd /". In the Finder, it is displayed as your system drive; if your system drive is simply called "Macintosh HD" as it is on almost all (since so few bother to rename them; I do...keeps my brain from melting and it looks nicer) Macs, it will be displayed in the Finder under drives as "Macintosh HD". Piece of cake. Then just navigate to the folder from there in step 4a or 4b depending.

It's important to note that a user's home folder has a similar Library folder, but is contained in /Users%usershortname%Library/ . This is not the folder you want to install the plug-ins to.

Thank You!

To tell you the truth your post made little sense to me - but did explain the whole "root directory" to me. I was searching this whole time for a folder not understanding that the / was basically just saying the next folder!

library/adobe/cs3 for example means in the library folder open the adobe folder and find the cs3 folder.

Just wanted to thank you guys and hopefully help the next fool who searches for the same question!

To tell you the truth your post made little sense to me - but did explain the whole "root directory" to me. I was searching this whole time for a folder not understanding that the / was basically just saying the next folder!

library/adobe/cs3 for example means in the library folder open the adobe folder and find the cs3 folder.

Just wanted to thank you guys and hopefully help the next fool who searches for the same question!
Were you able to find the appropriate folders and get Elements to recognize your RAW files?

Yes I was, thank you! Do have another dumb question though.... I saw a tutorial where they used the "magic extractor" - they found it under IMAGE, but I don't seem to have that option?

Yes I was, thank you! Do have another dumb question though.... I saw a tutorial where they used the "magic extractor" - they found it under IMAGE, but I don't seem to have that option?
From what I've heard, the "Magic Extractor" kinda sucks. There are other ways to select and remove sections of a image that work better. What are you trying to do?

Most reactions

Back