Question about exposure after export (LR CC)

sw_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've started to notice several images are much darker, as if the shadows slider was dropped, after export from LR. I opened a few images in LR on two different computers and they look as I wish, yet as soon as I export it happens. Below, a sunset for example from last night. The foreground was not that interesting but it was killed when I exported. Settings are set to default, no sharpening etc etc. Any hints or just something obvious that I'm missing?

e91fe3251a74c80d2ba9bb9a6fab5958.jpg

What file type are you exporting, exporting to where, and what color space is the exported image in?

What file type are you exporting, exporting to where, and what color space is the exported image in?
Exporting as jpeg to a desktop folder
Color Space sRGB

Color Space sRGB

And how are you viewing the exported photo -- in what app?

Joe

If you open the exported JPEG in LR and view it there in LR does it still look darker?

Joe

If you open the exported JPEG in LR and view it there in LR does it still look darker?

Joe
I haven't looked it that way just yet, let me finish up the day and I'll check.
Color Space sRGB

Joe
For the one above, I attached it to an email and added it to my Google drive. Opened the image earlier on drive at my work computer and noticed it was dark as well. Tried a few others that I have on drive with the same result.

I posted it on the Facebook for some friends who enjoy sunsets, you could barely make out the water on the lower right.

Joe
Color Space sRGB

Joe
For the one above, I attached it to an email and added it to my Google drive. Opened the image earlier on drive at my work computer and noticed it was dark as well. Tried a few others that I have on drive with the same result.

I posted it on the Facebook for some friends who enjoy sunsets, you could barely make out the water on the lower right.

Got it, then next question: What is the system (Windows/MAC/Linux) that edit on and how is that system calibrated? What's the display?

Joe

Joe
Color Space sRGB

Joe

Got it, then next question: What is the system (Windows/MAC/Linux) that edit on and how is that system calibrated? What's the display?

Joe

Lol, you got me. Windows, factory settings, lcd display.

Also, to follow up on your earlier question I opened the image as a jpeg in both LR and PS. It looks exactly as I edited it before export.

Joe
Color Space sRGB

Joe

Joe

Lol, you got me. Windows, factory settings, lcd display.

Also, to follow up on your earlier question I opened the image as a jpeg in both LR and PS. It looks exactly as I edited it before export.

So LR displays the image the same way both before export and then the exported image -- that sounds good.

You're basically working out-of-control with color-managed apps (LR and PS) in an uncolor-managed work environment. The fact that you've seen this discrepancy with your photo is a clear sign that it's time to start calibrating your editing environment. You need one of these (or similar) to begin: https://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNS...F8&qid=1467767352&sr=8-1&keywords=xrite+smile

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So LR displays the image the same way both before export and then the exported image -- that sounds good.

You're basically working out-of-control with color-managed apps (LR and PS) in an uncolor-managed work environment. The fact that you've seen this discrepancy with your photo is a clear sign that it's time to start calibrating your editing environment. You need one of these (or similar) to begin: https://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNS...F8&qid=1467767352&sr=8-1&keywords=xrite+smile

Joe

Thank you for the help! We're in the middle of shipping our household out to Arizona, and a new workstation is on the list of things to buy. I'm tempted to just make a print and see how that turns out. I'll look into the suggestion a bit more tomorrow.

Again, thank you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back