Question about Filters in a digital world

Jeff Canes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The July edition of Shutterbug has a review of three filters, glass vies digital of an 81A/Warmth, polarizer & graduated ND. The review came out about even because if focused on the polarizer’s ability to dark blue skies.

Shutterbug July 2004 said:
Note to digital shooter: The polarizing filter can be used on your lens without any problems on any setting. Auto white balance will compensate for all filters placed on the lens, basically canceling out the desired effect. When shooting in raw mode, all filters will act as if you were using film, and the desired effect will be apparent.

So my question is: Will the other or all white balance modes do the same thing when shooting JPGs?
:scratch:

I have some filters hanging around from my film camera. I notice just about no difference in Jpeg mode on my D70. In Raw however, which I mostly use, they work, as the article states, the same as on the film camera.

I use the polarizer mostly just to take the glare off of water and such. That effect still works no matter what mode your in.

Warming Filter in Jpeg mode acted mostly as a lens protector.

Hope this helps, and doesn't sound like I'm rambling on. :p

My polarizing filter doesn't seem to have a reduced effect at all. You could always just white balance it yourself to keep the desired effects also.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back