Question about firearms (non-political!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I'm sure this will attract some attention, but this is NOT a political discussion. I just have a question.

I am of the school that you don't really need a firearm unless it serves a purpose (shotgun for birds, high-power rifle for deer, even pistol for self-defense, etc.). But I see a lot of weapons people own (like the AR-10 in the gun photo thread) that I can not for the life of me figure out the purpose of.

Can someone tell me if they serve a purpose, or is their purpose that you like them and they're cool? I just don't understand. I still WHOLEHEARTELDY am okay with your right to own these rifles (not being political here), but I'm just curious as to their purpose, you know?

their purpose that you like them and they're cool?

You answered your own question. If it's not to be used for a practical purpose, what other reason would there be? Why does anyone collect anything, really?

I'd disagree that they are "cool" but I suppose others have different tastes than I.

Because things that destroy other things are awesome!!

If I can kill it, it must be killed. I am man and I must continue to prove that I am the most powerful thing on earth so I create A-bombs and horrible weapons for no other reason than to let everyone know that if I wanted to, I could destroy everything that has ever been created. I am man, hear me roar.

Stupid humans

One up side is having a similar density of guns per person with a massivly lower death rate by guns ;)

And yes some people collect guns - old or new - like some collect swords, cards, cars, lenses, cameras ;)
Many collection items might never see real use - for guns they might get taken to the range a few times (depending on the gun - old collectors would not dare!)

I have pistols. There's always the next gun though. I've been around them all my life. I like to shoot them to see how they shoot and to see how accurate I can be. I compete against myself to be better each time. It's just some outdoor fun for me. I have no desire to hunt or to shoot any living creature. I am however the holder of a concealed weapons permit which means I can carry my pistol on my every day. There are limits though - most government facilities/land are off limits (eg schools, police stations, government offices etc). National parks are another matter, however - they're currently off limits but moves are afoot to make them available for defensive carriers. The other off limits places are private homes, places that sell alcohol for consumption on the premises. and places that have a legal sign refusing entry to concealed weapon holders. There are few signs that fulfill the legal definition and as they have to be on every entry to the building - even exterior cupboards, even fewer that mean anything.

If I can kill it, it must be killed. I am man and I must continue to prove that I am the most powerful thing on earth so I create A-bombs and horrible weapons for no other reason than to let everyone know that if I wanted to, I could destroy everything that has ever been created. I am man, hear me roar.

Stupid humans

I'll bet I could win you in a street fight

need more guns!!!;)

No there isn't much point to the things for regular people. Just like there's not much use for an old Nikkor 300mm f/2 lens, or a 1200-1700mm zoom. Or a 500hp car on public roads. But people like and collect different things. They enjoy them and like "having" them whether you're talking about exotic lenses, cars, guns, or whatever. Different strokes for different folks.

No there isn't much point to the things for regular people. Just like there's not much use for an old Nikkor 300mm f/2 lens, or a 1200-1700mm zoom. Or a 500hp car on public roads. But people like and collect different things. They enjoy them and like "having" them whether you're talking about exotic lenses, cars, guns, or whatever. Different strokes for different folks.

Gee, guys, thanks for keeping the thread non-political... :roll: But, I think you have proven beyond a doubt that having a politics forum here is a bad idea, specifically because we can't control our emotions and only voice our opinion when wanted.

But, thank you, Mav, Overread, Rhys, and ~Stella~. I think part of the reason I've had issues with this and can't understand it, is because my dad had a purpose to terrify me of firearms at a very young age. I've never found firearms fun, mostly because they were (in my family) very powerful things that will kill you if you aren't careful. With cars, I never got that fear instilled in me, so they still seem neat and fun. But I'm sure if I had a dad who hated cars and taught me to be afraid of them, I'd probably not find a Porsche cool, either.

Once again, thanks for the, shall I say, "enlightenment," you have helped me achieve. :)

^Hey, I answered your question, didn't I? The reason I would honestly own a gun, is just because it's cool to have something that is capable of destroying something. Don't ask why, it's just cool..
Same reason I like to light off fireworks...Just to watch something make a loud noise, and explode..

One of the reasons that people own firearms goes back centuries, and that is competition.

There is a strong history of competitive shooting that goes throughout the world beginning with two humans being bored and throwing rocks for accuracy.

That is first, and foremost why I shoot, and own firearms.

Much the same thrill of going out and getting that perfect exposure goes into my, as well as others, pursuit of making really small accurate holes in paper, or knocking over steel plates, or breaking clay targets, or distance and accuracy....

I can understand your dilemma with your upbringing, as mine was the extreme opposite. My father shot for the US Army Skeet team in the 70's, and both he and my mother competed regularly when I was growing up. I was raised around guns, and taught to respect firearms.

Years later, my parents retook up competitive shotgun shooting, with my mother attaining the goal of state champion several years ago (not women's, but overall....besting some of the best trapshooters in the nation), and has qualified for the state women's team every year for the last 15 years. She was also enshrined in our state Trapshooters Hall of Fame a couple of years back. And as I am writing this, is currently competing again at the state championships. This is just the accomplishments of my mother. This is the same person who taught me the love of photography, as she was/is a professional photographer.

My firearms of choice are rifles and handguns. Recently, I took up archery again in response to my son's desire to shoot archery. I don't have the time to compete like I used to, and miss it extremely. As well as I don't have the time to go out and take pictures like I used to.

Both my wife and I were raised around competitive shooters, and firearms, and we have chosen to raise our children around firearms and shooting. But also, raise them to appreciate life, and sports, and music, and photography, and boating, and camping, and nature....

Hope this helps broaden your perspectives of why someone should own a firearm.

I have pistols. There's always the next gun though. I've been around them all my life. I like to shoot them to see how they shoot and to see how accurate I can be. I compete against myself to be better each time. It's just some outdoor fun for me. I have no desire to hunt or to shoot any living creature. I am however the holder of a concealed weapons permit which means I can carry my pistol on my every day. There are limits though - most government facilities/land are off limits (eg schools, police stations, government offices etc). National parks are another matter, however - they're currently off limits but moves are afoot to make them available for defensive carriers. The other off limits places are private homes, places that sell alcohol for consumption on the premises. and places that have a legal sign refusing entry to concealed weapon holders. There are few signs that fulfill the legal definition and as they have to be on every entry to the building - even exterior cupboards, even fewer that mean anything.

I can't wait until we get the new laws being proposed so we can all carry our guns in plain sight.

I have always wanted to strap on a six shooter and walk around like a gunslinger.....

Gee, guys, thanks for keeping the thread non-political... :roll:

How on earth would you expect a subject like the use of guns which IS political to 'not get political'?

I have just had to lock an image thread which i didn't want to do, but people cannot keep thier opinions to themselves about guns in society which = politics.

Sorry but i cannot see how this thread will end up anywhere but with arguements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back