Question about focal length and portraits

Ummm, it's not called barrel distortion...barrel distortion is an outward curving of straight lines, caused by an OPTICAL issue with a lens...it takes straight lines and makes them look curved....barrel distortion takes the horizon line of the ocean and makes the left and right edges of the horizon drop downward. The opposite of barrel distortion is called "pincushion" distortion.

I believe the term we are looking for is called "perspective distortion".

Perspective Distortion Effects Planned or Accidental

Ummm, it's not called barrel distortion...barrel distortion is an outward curving of straight lines, caused by an OPTICAL issue with a lens...it takes straight lines and makes them look curved....barrel distortion takes the horizon line of the ocean and makes the left and right edges of the horizon drop downward. The opposite of barrel distortion is called "pincushion" distortion.

I believe the term we are looking for is called "perspective distortion".

Perspective Distortion Effects Planned or Accidental

Nice example!!!! Love that face... lol! (saving this for future reference!)

When you post, are you cropping the image or just leaving it full size? What would be considered best? At the 50mm length, I feel that I need to crop them to fill the frame and meet the ROF.

I usually try to get my comp right in camera, so if there is too much space I move in closer ;)

Use any focal length you want to create the composition you are aiming for. Just try to maintain 10-15 foot camera to subject when using wider than 5omm focal lengths unless you can creatively use the distortion to your advantage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back