Question about Godox XPro / Flashpoint R2 Pro transmitter

adamhiram

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been using a Godox XPro-N transmitter to control TT600 flashes, and noticed an interesting anomaly. The flashes zoom from 20-200mm, and are usually left at 20mm for use in soft boxes or other modifiers. The transmitter is able to control both the flash power and zoom, however it only allows zoom from 24-200, not all the way out to 20mm. It’s easy enough to just leave the flashes zoomed out and not change it on the transmitter, but it’s odd that the range doesn’t seem to match. Has anyone else encountered this?

Still no response back from Godox, but a quick follow-up... After updating the firmware to 1.4, the zoom range has apparently become a moot point, as it broke the flash zoom functionality altogether. Realistically, I don't really have any situations where I don't want them zoomed to their widest (20mm), but strange that the zoom range wouldn't match their own flashes, then would just plain stop working. For the record, the instruction manual and B&H product page both list the zoom range as 24-200, while the Godox product page and specs printed on the product packaging say 20-200, which is correct.

Some other comments...

Pros:
  • Well-designed interface
  • Able to control flash power for up to 5 flash groups
  • Uses AA batteries - finally no need to carry AAAs!
  • Works very well
Cons:
  • Remote flash zoom broken with latest firmware update
  • Device needed firmware update upon receipt
  • Firmware update requires USB-C cable, not included, and requires Windows computer to run application
  • Reviews claim it has better ergonomics than prior model, but still protrudes back more than other flash triggers (Phottix Strato, Yongnuo RF603)
Overall it seems like a great product that is easy to use and has been pretty solid so far. The ability to control flash power remotely has relegated my old flash triggers to use as wireless shutter releases, and the integrated wireless receivers in the TT600 flashes have greatly simplified my setup. Hopefully future firmware updates fix the broken functionality, although it's not really something I use anyway.

Last edited:
I agree with pretty much all of what you've said, but can't add much. Neither of my flashpoint transmitters' zoom functions seem to work, though I don't really care. I've never had a desire to remotely change the zoom setting, it's largely a set it and forget it kind of thing. I mostly leave it all the way to the wide end, or all the way to the telephoto end.

now i read your post, reminded me i have two godox flash slaves.. costed less than 20 euro :D they dont zoom.

Most reactions

Back