Question about going digital

OK, I learned something today! Thanks!! I never knew that the larger format cameras had larger focal length standard lenses, I never thought about it and just assumed the lens was just physically larger on a larger format camera.

So field of view is the correct measurement of a lens vs focal length? I equated field of view with the angle in which the lens sees, such as 18mm equals wide angle and a 600 mm equals very narrow angle. Even at both of these extremes the image can be cropped for a narrower field of view ... then I guess to get to a standard size the image would be magnified.

Also, longer focal lengths give you a smaller DOF (more blurred background and foreground). So with a larger piece of film, or sensor, you don't need as wide of aperture to nicely isolate the subject from the background, because your focal lengths are longer which makes your dof smaller.

I did some reading after asking this question and found that the full frame sensors are available and digital even comes in medium format cameras as well. I did go digital today and got the Nikon D90. Its definately more camera than I need at this moment and probably in the future as well but figured it may be the last camera I get so I would get a decent (good?) (great??) camera. I also opted for a second lens, 70-300, since I have had the need for a longer focal length lens at times.

Excellent choice of camera and lens.. the 70-300 is an excellent value, and produces much better images then the "uber-zooms" that most consumers seem to be opting for these days.

Most reactions

Back