Question about lighting

Michael79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are several portrait lighting styles - short, broad, butterfly, Rembrandt, side, high key, low key - each requiring different light placement positions and light height.
Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers

You're going to find those constant CFL lights won't work very well for shooting people, for a couple of reason:
• You will have difficulty getting enough shutter speed to prevent camera shake blur if you can hand hold the camera
• You will have difficulty getting enough shutter speed to prevent subject motion blur
• The light power output is not directly adjustable.

You will be able to adjust the light power by moving the light closer or further from your subject, but as you do so apparent light source size will also change which changes the quality of the light. The umbrellas make the light source apparently larger. Generally speaking large light sources deliver soft light and diffuse shadow edges. As light source apparent size gets smaller the light quality gets harsher and the shadow edges also become harsher because they get less diffuse (sharper)

33" umbrellas are generally used for head shots or head and shoulders shots. for 3/4 or full body shots or groups larger umbrellas are needed, like 60".

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I originally bought a set similar to this, only the set i bought also included 3 octogonal soft boxes. You will find that 45 watt bulbs are not strong enough to get good shutter speed. If you replace the bulbs with at least 85 watt bulbs equal to 300 watts output each and a 5500 kelvin you will get better results. you will still only be able to use this set up for head shots, but with my experiance i use the softboxes and i am using a aperture of 2.8 and shutter speed of 125 and ISO of 400. Results are pretty good with this settup.
How ever if i may suggest and if you have a hot shoe flash buy a cheap off camera flash radio trigger like the yongnuo 603 and cold shoe mount for the light stand and use one of those shoot thu umbrellas for lighting. Its fairly inexpensive to get set up. Also get yourself a reflector to bounce light. Like a 43 inch atleast. those are avalible on amazon for like $15.00

Most reactions

Back