question about modeling...

wysoczanski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
not sure if im putting this in the right forums but we shall see...
my cousin has and still is trying to figure out how to put her daughter into modeling. she asked me to see if anyone here could help.
she left me a couple of questions to ask...
1.Do the photos you have to send to companies have to be professionaly done or could the be any photo? do companies look for certain styles or formats?
2.where can she find companies recruiting for modeling agencies.
3.If the pictures she sends can be done by an amature such as me? and if so could someone please tell me what the usual standards are that companies look for so i can take them?

thanks for looking and for any help.

Yes, they should be professionally taken photos. She will need a portfolio of images, not just a handful. Some agencies will require less, such as a composite, but she still needs a full portfolio of professional quality images. A friend of mine just had one done, and for a full day shooting with the costs of editing and prints was between 1-2 thousand dollars. Be prepared to pay a lot.

As stated above, that is the only part that applies to this forum. We know about photography, not where to go for agencies.

And remember, everyone wants to be a model. Make sure this is what she actually wants to do, and that she is attractive to other people (not just family and friends). Modeling is a lot like American Idol. Everyone thinks they can make it.

I don't think the photos have to be 'professional'...but they have be good. As to what format and style they are looking for, it probably varies from one agency to another. Try calling some of them and asking directly what they want to see.

Companies recruiting for modeling agencies? I don't know. I would suspect that most modeling agencies do their own recruiting...after all, that's basically one of the biggest functions of a modeling agency...to find models to represent.

I'm sure there are a million girls (and a few guys) who want to be models....so there are probably many, many resources for letting them know how to go about getting started. They can't be that hard to track down. As I mentioned, just calling an agency is probably a good start.

Some may think my answer was a bit flippant. I want to thank the other posters to prove my point.

And if that is not enough, do a search of this forum for "headshots" and you will realize that few members here have any idea what one actually is.

And I don't mean to say that those posters are not well intentioned. It is just not the right forum.

A lot of the work will need to be done by your cousin. She will need to figure out where she fits in the market. Then the agencies or organizations will be able to direct her to what is needed. At this point we can only give generalizations.

Keep in mind that photography (arguably) is like most businesses. You get what pay for. If she goes the commercial route she will need a more then a halfway decent portfolio. If she goes the modeling agency route; they shoot polaroids and if accepted send you to a photographer.

Spill all the gory details and we can help further.

Love & Bass

Modeling requires the looks, height, skin, tone and professional photos. It sounds stereotypical and even downright selective, but that's how it works.

It's not easy to get far. Photos, yes can be taken by you but a professional photographer (esp. for models) will take a variety. For instance, casual and formal, etc. Different styles of posing are necessary knowledge.

There are plenty of websites with information. As aforementioned, it's best to ask a modelling website. There are plenty of actual online networks... search them up. These broadcast portfolios of photographers for models and models themselves.

Most reactions

Back