Question about monitor calibration.

eclipse13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I borrowed a monitor calibrator from a friend and got mine looking right. But as soon as I unplug the calibrator or turn off the program, it resets to the way it used to look. Is there any way to make my monitor keep the same setting and look after I unplug the calibrator?

Your'e calibration software should lead you step by step to creating a profile you can save, save it as something you'll recognize, then set this as default in your display properties. I cant really help further as I'm not familiar with the system and dont have my crystal ball handy. H

I am using the Pantone Huey, the one that samurai posted. It doesn't seem to make a change unless the program is running in the system tray, but I'll see if I can figure something out. Thanks for the help.

I'm considering purchasing the Spyder monitor calibrator, they are available from amazon for under $100... but I have a few other things I want to get before that. ;)

How do I do this? I am pretty familiar with computers but I can't figure out how to do that.

What OS are you using, and do you have Photoshop?

If you are using Windows is there anything in your startup folder that might be a profile loader? Do you have Adobe Gamma in your Control Panel?

Best,
Helen

When you used the calibrator, did the software save an .icm file? It should have done. That's what the profile loader should be using. The profile loader shortcut should be in somewhere like

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You should be able to see it in the Startup tab if you Start>Run>msconfig

If the calibration software hasn't installed a profile loader, you can use Adobe Gamma:

Make sure that it is selected in the msconfig Startup tab, that should make a shortcut appear in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Then open Adobe Gamma from the Control Panel, and hit the Load button. Then select the .icm profile the calibration software made.

Restart Windows.

Remember that when the calibrator is working, any monitor profile that was active needs to be disabled, otherwise the calibrator isn't making a profile for the monitor, but for the profiled monitor. Disabling the profile will make the screen look different.

Best,
Helen

I'm not too familiar with calibrators but don't they change the monitor settings depending on the ambient light around the monitor? Probably should invest in one for yourself.

I'm not too familiar with calibrators but don't they change the monitor settings depending on the ambient light around the monitor? Probably should invest in one for yourself.

Absolutely -- plus all ambient light will change over time, and so will the color the monitor reproduces.

I work in Fine Art Reproduction where color is absolutely critical and we re-calibrate our monitors about every 14 days.

We use this one for monitor calibration, but really all of them work fairly well.

http://www.amazon.com/Pantone-MEU103-Eye-One-Display-2/dp/B000CR78CO

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Huey can react to changes in ambient light if it is connected - it is unusual in that respect. Many systems are not active in the same way: you calibrate regularly, and there is then no real-time adjustment to match ambient lighting between calibrations. It's generally better to work in controlled lighting rather than changeable lighting, but this is not always possible of course.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back