Question about Nikon 85mm 1.8 AF and AF-D

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Am considering on getting the Nikon 85mm 1.8 AF or AF-D

How does this lens compares to the more modern Nikon 85mm 1.8G ?
What is the different between the AF and AF-D models ?

The AF version uses an older auto focus system/technology than AF-D uses.
The D stands for Distance. The CPU in the lens sends distance info to the AF module in the camera.

This short article briefly discusses all 3 of Nikon's AF technologies - Nikon AF Vs. AF-S | eHow

The G is so so much better than the older two models, from all the reviews and videos I saw. I chose the 85 1.8G, and LOVE it. It's super sharp, even wide open, and stopped down just a little bit and it's amazing. Love love love this lens.

Vitality by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Super sharp at f5.6

Best,
Jake

Am considering on getting the Nikon 85mm 1.8 AF or AF-D

the current rebate for the 1.8G is putting them at a price the used ones currently sell at...

If I recall correctly, if you plan on any flash or exposure camera control (distance, 3D Matrix Metering, iTTL flash) go with the AF-D lens

Since I planned from the get go on flash things, I bought all AF-D lenses except for my 75-300 AF lens which is an outside lens anyways.

I'm sure someone will have much more details on this.

The early-production 85mm f/1.8 AF lenses had a VERY skinny focusing ring, wayyyyyy up at the very front of the barrel. Right behind the filter threads was this plastic ring with simple, straight ribbing. Not knurling, just simple lines cut into the plastic ring. The barrel was also a smooth, slippery plastic. When buying one of these ask if it is "early", or "late". Good retailers, like KEH.com, specify "early" and "late" on the 85, 50, and 180 AF lenses. MOST people do not like the early, non-rubberized barrel models, and those lenses were in production for only a short amount of time, like two years or so I would guess.

Looking thru The Complete Nikon System Handbook, I see that the optics of the 85/1.8 AF and AF-D are identical. I owned an 85/1.8 AF, early, for a while. It was okay. LOADS of purple fringing when shot in backlight, that is the biggest issue of the 85mm 1.8 AF and AF-D lenses. The AF-D of course, has an updated CPU that relays Distance info to the camera's metering system.

The 85/1.8 AF-S G is first off, AF-S. It's also over 20 years newer in optical design. It's very compact, and is one of ***the*** sharpest lenses of the modern era...sharper than $1500 Zeiss lenses...it is optically really,really,really amazing for a lens priced at less than $4,000. On the D800 and D800e, out of 72 lenses tested by DxO Mark, the 85/1.8 is second, right behind the 85/1.4 AF-S G, and one step ahead of Sigma's brand-new 35mm f/1.4 HSM prime. So, basically, the two new 85mm lenses from Nikon are two of the sharpest, best-performing lenses on high resolution cameras, where the 85 1.8 screw-driver models with their mid-1980's designs, are wayyyyyy down the list in performance on high-resolution digital sensors.

With the $100 rebate on the 85/1.8 G, which brings it down to $396, there's utterly no reason to buy a new 85/1.8 AF-D for the same price.

The early-production 85mm f/1.8 AF lenses had a VERY skinny focusing ring, wayyyyyy up at the very front of the barrel. Right behind the filter threads was this plastic ring with simple, straight ribbing. Not knurling, just simple lines cut into the plastic ring. The barrel was also a smooth, slippery plastic. When buying one of these ask if it is "early", or "late". Good retailers, like KEH.com, specify "early" and "late" on the 85, 50, and 180 AF lenses. MOST people do not like the early, non-rubberized barrel models, and those lenses were in production for only a short amount of time, like two years or so I would guess.

Looking thru The Complete Nikon System Handbook, I see that the optics of the 85/1.8 AF and AF-D are identical. I owned an 85/1.8 AF, early, for a while. It was okay. LOADS of purple fringing when shot in backlight, that is the biggest issue of the 85mm 1.8 AF and AF-D lenses. The AF-D of course, has an updated CPU that relays Distance info to the camera's metering system.

The 85/1.8 AF-S G is first off, AF-S. It's also over 20 years newer in optical design. It's very compact, and is one of ***the*** sharpest lenses of the modern era...sharper than $1500 Zeiss lenses...it is optically really,really,really amazing for a lens priced at less than $4,000. On the D800 and D800e, out of 72 lenses tested by DxO Mark, the 85/1.8 is second, right behind the 85/1.4 AF-S G, and one step ahead of Sigma's brand-new 35mm f/1.4 HSM prime. So, basically, the two new 85mm lenses from Nikon are two of the sharpest, best-performing lenses on high resolution cameras, where the 85 1.8 screw-driver models with their mid-1980's designs, are wayyyyyy down the list in performance on high-resolution digital sensors.

With the $100 rebate on the 85/1.8 G, which brings it down to $396, there's utterly no reason to buy a new 85/1.8 AF-D for the same price.

Really and truly it's impressively sharp. I just want to re iterate how impressed with it I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The G is so so much better than the older two models, from all the reviews and videos I saw. I chose the 85 1.8G, and LOVE it. It's super sharp, even wide open, and stopped down just a little bit and it's amazing. Love love love this lens.

Best,
Jake

Hmmm I dont know why but I have a feeling you love this lens :mrgreen:

Ok, ok Derrel I am sold, just for you I will look deeper into the G model, sadly as far as I see this lens price in Canada didn't change so probably this rebate thing is limited to the US :grumpy:
So I will try to find a good used one.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies!!! :)

Best,
Jake

Hmmm I dont know why but I have a feeling you love this lens :mrgreen:

Ok, ok Derrel I am sold, just for you I will look deeper into the G model, sadly as far as I see this lens price in Canada didn't change so probably this rebate thing is limited to the US :grumpy:
So I will try to find a good used one.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies!!! :)

I mean, it's cool an all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my 85 AF-D for $321 which had a missing rubber focusing ring.
For $396 .... I might see what the current ebay prices are to sell my AF-D and buy a G lens instead.

then I can stop reading your purple fringing 85 AF-D statements. :)

For $396 .... I might see what the current ebay prices are to sell my AF-D and buy a G lens instead.

LOL

There is an AF model for sale on kijiji for 275$ CAN so it looks like a rather interesting deal but everybody makes a very strong case for the G model, it really looks a much better lens and for an extra 100$-150$ might as well get the better lens, after all photography for me and most you guys here is a passion and not some tool to do a certain work so I does want the best I can get.

Be warned, the G does fringe a touch wide open, but is EASILY correctable in PS or LR.

Be warned, the G does fringe a touch wide open, but is EASILY correctable in PS or LR.
A wise man said "No Lens Is Perfect", I think it was Moses to the Pharaoh but I might be mistaking :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back