Question about Nikon SB-400

abe39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I am using the SB400 speedlight with Nikon D5000. When I turn on the speedlight and take pictures in the auto-mode the SB400 fires away instantly as expected. Good. But if I change the mode to any of the P/A/S/M and take a picture, the SB400 fires three "mini-clicks" before taking the picture. This is restrictive in that if the subject moves within the second or two during the 3 mini-clicks of the SB400, the moment is lost. It doesn't make sense for the speedlight to behave this way as it doesn't do this in the Auto mode. So my questions are:

- Is this normal for SB400 or is there a setting in my camera to direct the SB400 to fire away instantly in the P/A/S/M modes like in the auto mode?
- Does a SB600 do the same thing?

Thanks.

Sounds to me, you have your camera set to reduce red eye which the flash will flicker like that. Just change your flash settings to the normal i-TTL and it will stop.

[/QUOTE]If I knew how to like posts, I would so like this lol.[/QUOTE]
Find the reply with quote button, then go north about an inch and you should find a little thumbs up button with the word "like" next to it.

@xjoewhitex:http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/members/85392.html Thanks for the insight, that was it. The flash mode was set to "red-eye reduction", I changed it to "Auto" and it was all good. No wonder the forum calls me a "TPF Noob" :)

@mrpink: So now that I know about this I did as you said - "RTFM, then RTFM again" about the flash mode for red eye reduction:
- The Nikon D5000 user's manual said: "Use for portraits. Red-eye reduction lamp lights before flash fires, reducing red-eye".
- The D5000 in-camera help said: "AF-assist lamp lights before the flash fires, reducing red-eye. Use for portraits."
Almost the same thing, and now that I know about it I get it but still a little subtle I guess!

Thanks again guys.

@xjoewhitex:Thanks for the insight, that was it. The flash mode was set to "red-eye reduction", I changed it to "Auto" and it was all good. No wonder the forum calls me a "TPF Noob" :)

@mrpink: So now that I know about this I did as you said - "RTFM, then RTFM again" about the flash mode for red eye reduction:
- The Nikon D5000 user's manual said: "Use for portraits. Red-eye reduction lamp lights before flash fires, reducing red-eye".
- The D5000 in-camera help said: "AF-assist lamp lights before the flash fires, reducing red-eye. Use for portraits."
Almost the same thing, and now that I know about it I get it but still a little subtle I guess!

Thanks again guys.
Its not a problem I once too had alot of questions and problems, I just help when I can. I remember back when I got my first camera I was messing with the flash settings and remember it flickering like that. You wouldn't think it would work, kinda odd but thats what it is red eye reduction.

And btw I still don't know how to like posts lol, where is this like button again?
w19ob6.jpg

.................And btw I still don't know how to like posts lol, where is this like button again?......

Hover over the post, and the Like button will appear in the bottom right of the post.

And btw I still don't know how to like posts lol, where is this like button again?
w19ob6.jpg

You have to hover your mouse over the response and then it will show up (it disappears when you are not moused over the reply)

.............You have to hover your mouse over the response and then it will show up (it disappears when you are not moused over the reply)

I tried hovering my mouse over the post, and all it did was scratch my monitor.
SidewaysLOL.gif

Most reactions

Back