Question about "Photography."

Jason1000RR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to the world of photography and have trolled around this subforum in particular for a few months. A lot of threads are titled "First shots with new DSLR, I'm a n00b lolz" then exploring the thread, their pictures are blatantly watermarked such as "(name) Photography."

Is this normal of the photography community? I find it puzzling because I wouldn't call someone who owns band-aids and watched marathons of House a healthcare professional.

dosen't have to be a professional photopgrapher, just shows who owns the image...i always put "R.Priestley" on my photos...im am no where close to a professional...i just want people to know I took the picture

The purpose of a watermark is to mark your images. Its no different than signing a painting. Doesn't mean you are a professional painter, just means you are marking it as your work. Many people choose a professional sounding name so that as they grow, they can keep their name and it can grow with them.

It's dreaming.

In high school, I worked out the name of my graphic design company and it's logo.
I spent a lot of time doing this.
I never became a graphic designer.

Conversely, when I finally was forced to open my own jewelery shop, I had to come up with a name and logo on very short order. :lmao:

I'm new to the world of photography and have trolled around this subforum in particular for a few months. A lot of threads are titled "First shots with new DSLR, I'm a n00b lolz" then exploring the thread, their pictures are blatantly watermarked such as "(name) Photography."

Is this normal of the photography community? I find it puzzling because I wouldn't call someone who owns band-aids and watched marathons of House a healthcare professional.

Key word bolded for emphasis. :)

Key word bolded for emphasis. :)

To bad he only has one post so if he does troll is under a different name... You my be a "supporting member" but it still doesn't give you the right to bash on someones forum ignorance.

To bad he only has one post so if he does troll is under a different name... You my be a "supporting member" but it still doesn't give you the right to bash on someones forum ignorance.

No more or less right than you have to police me on my posts.

Whether he realizes it or not, his post is pretty inflamatory. I called it out in a tounge and cheek manner. You don't like it? Block me. Problem solved.

No more or less right than you have to police me on my posts.

Whether he realizes it or not, his post is pretty inflamatory. I called it out in a tounge and cheek manner. You don't like it? Block me. Problem solved.

I am with Manaheim on here. Clearly the OP was being derogatory towards people who watermark their photos. Look at the last statement of his post.

Thank you everyone for your informative input. I know understand the "(name) Photography" is of zero measure towards a professional or establishment.

Manaheim, thank you for being so indirect. I'm not sure why you pointed out my usage of "trolled."

Burstintoflame81, or it was an actual question.

Thank you everyone for your informative input. I know understand the "(name) Photography" is of zero measure towards a professional or establishment.

Manaheim, thank you for being so indirect. I'm not sure why you pointed out my usage of "trolled."

Burstintoflame81, or it was an actual question.

Yeah, but you asked it in a manner that was putting down others on the thread, which makes you ignorant. Think before you speak or you risk sounding like a d-bag. If it wasn't your intention, then consider it a lesson learned.

If anyone feels their photo is really that good that others might want to steal it, then DO NOT post it on the Internet! Problem solved.
You might post a cropped, re-sized, version instead. Say orig is 8mp, just reduce it down to 640x480. As for adding your name; what for? Do you expect to get jobs from pics posted on Flickr?

I've rarely seen photos I just had to have a copy of on my HDD. I do have lots of photos of old Coney Island, WTC, Vegas, etc. Just for my collection because it's a hobby, like stamps, coins, beer bottles, lighters, etc.

Most reactions

Back