Question about Photoshop.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use LR and have never used PS before. I am curious about how "layers" work in PS, however.

In basic terms, how do layers work? Never having used it before, I am picturing starting with the initial image file, then electronically "layering" a clear film over the image and making changes to that clear file. Then when you look at the 2 layers together, you see the "new" image which is composed of the initial file plus the first layer with the edits made to it. Rinse, repeat.

Is that how it works?

It depends on what you are doing . The good thing with layers, is that you can delete a layer as long as you arent doing changes to the back ground layer and not affect the original image. Also, you can make changes to areas and reduce effects. There is a lot you can do with layers.

Download a trial version free and play with it.

I use LR 90% of the time, but when something goes to my plugins or i need layers I use PS

Yep. Layers is a lot like the school books of yesteryear that used clear overlays to build up an image.

In Photoshop the layers can be manipulated in a number of useful ways. Key features are being able to vary the opacity of a layer, use a variety of 'Blending' modes, and do very precise masking.

There are so many ways, an entire book (now in it's second edition) has been written to cover them - Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here's an old screen shot of a work in progress using layers.

The background is the untouched original. The horizontal leaf is being moved up and so it's been cut from the background copy and placed on the next layer up. Above that are adjustment layers for tone and color. When the whole thing is collapsed the cut line from the shifted leaf will be cloned over.

Joe

layers1.jpg

Above that are adjustment layers for tone and color.

So you add additional layers when you are adjusting the tones? What about dodging and burning--are those layer adjustments?

I'm trying to decide if I really want to invest that much $$$ into buying a copy of PS or if I should just be happy with LR.

Dodging and burning are best done using layers. I usually use adjustment layers that control brightness, or sometimes a curves or levels layer, and then use layer masks to control where and how much the effects are applied to the image. You can look up how this works - it's a very powerful feature of PS.

jwbryson1 said:
So you add additional layers when you are adjusting the tones? What about dodging and burning--are those layer adjustments?

I'm trying to decide if I really want to invest that much $$$ into buying a copy of PS or if I should just be happy with LR.

The only time I have used dodging and burning, I duplicated the layer (. ;:::disclaimer:::: I am still a PS noob. )Lightroom is cool. I think you should have PS though. IMHO, for more in depth post production, it has the upper hand.

Yep. Layers is a lot like the school books of yesteryear that used clear overlays to build up an image.

In Photoshop the layers can be manipulated in a number of useful ways. Key features are being able to vary the opacity of a layer, use a variety of 'Blending' modes, and do very precise masking.

There are so many ways, an entire book (now in it's second edition) has been written to cover them - Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition)

I love this analogy! And I used to love those overlay pictures in books to the point of distraction! The teacher would have moved on five minutes before, but I was still sitting there, flipping the layers back and forth and watching the image change--usually things like one layer showing the organs, another showing the muscular-skeletal system, another the arteries and veins--fascinating stuff!

The HUGE advantage of layers, as others have pointed out, is the ability to delete just the layer instead of everything else you've done.
For instance, if I created a layer to do some dodging or burning, then I created another layer and adjusted saturation, and then another layer...and on and on, until maybe I have four or five different layers. Then, I suddenly decide I don't LIKE that dodging I did in step one...instead of having to start over, or hit "undo" about a kazillion times, I just go back to that layer and either make adjustments, or delete the layer.

If the issue is that you're not sure whether it's a worthwhile investment, I'd suggest either downloading a trial copy and playing with it, and/or purchasing the much cheaper PS Elements as a starting point. I used it for several years before upgrading to PS CS5 (which I couldn't afford, but talked my employer into springing for!). It still has the layers functionality, and is similar enough to PS that it gives you an idea of whether it'd be worth it to you, and--at least for earlier versions--was also similar to PS in its layout and functions, so that there isn't a huge learning curve if you make the switch.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I love this analogy! The teacher would have moved on five minutes before, but I was still sitting there, flipping the layers back and forth and watching the image change--usually things like one layer showing the organs, another showing the muscular-skeletal system, another the arteries and veins--fascinating stuff!

I agree---KmH precisely described what I was picturing in my mind. Good analogy.

...if I created a layer to do some dodging or burning, then I created another layer and adjusted saturation, and then another layer...and on and on, until maybe I have four or five different layers. Then, I suddenly decide I don't LIKE that dodging I did in step one...instead of having to start over, or hit "undo" about a kazillion times, I just go back to that layer and either make adjustments, or delete the layer.

In LR, you don't necessarily need to go back and hit "undo" a kazillion times. I'm going to use the wrong terminology here, I'm sure, but you can just get the adjustment "dot" to appear on the screen again using the tools brush and hit delete. Doesn't this have the same effect as deleting a layer?

Above that are adjustment layers for tone and color.

Dodging and burning are best accomplished using layers and blending modes in conjunction with, as Ken noted, masks on the layers. Layer masks can be quickly derived from selections so, for example, you can do a single mouse click selection of highlights and then use a layer and screen blend to lighten the entire image but have a mask derived from the highlight selection hold back the effect on the highlights.

Joe

Just let me add a, perhaps illuminating (or perhaps not), comment
Dodging and burning is best done by adding a new layer in overlay mode and filling with a neutral grey. Then you can use a white or black brush at an opacity, size and hardness of your choice to add or subtract grey from that layer.
That results in a layer that is a visible record of your dodging and burning and acts to alter the 'real' layer(s) below it.

$newlayer.jpg$burnmap.jpg

I have been using photo shop for over 10 years and could not imagine my life with out it. I have not used LR as I have not needed it yet but I have thought about buying as I do more photography, with that said I could not imagine LR being more powerful than Photoshop. There is sooo much you can do with photoshop.

I also am a graphic designer and need photoshop for my business.

There is a lot you can do with layers. To much to really explain but once you see the magic they will offer you, you will wonder why you didi not get it sooner.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back