Question about RAW & Canon

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if brand makes a difference or not, but I am planning on switching to RAW as of... now :) lol

So... What program will I need to use to open my RAW files?

Right now I import with windows and then view the images in windows photo gallery...

Then I edit in LR3 and CS5...

I don't want to convert them to jpg or anything else until I have to...

If anyone has any tips or anything, please let me know :)

Your camera should come with software to do that.

Umm...Lightroom and CS5 open them directly.
They actually convert them to dng's

Screw Windows.

That is what Lightroom is for.

lol :) k :)

So when that pop up thing comes up when I plug my camera in, I should just ignore it and go straight to LR? I always have LR and CS5 open... I never close them lol

When I pop my card in, LR opens and asks to import.

Yes, ignore Windows.

k... here's my first edited raw crap :) lol I hate my eyes :(

4704797597_4208b5dd0d.jpg

I think I over dodged them which "emphasized" the one eye opening more than the other thing... but it still looked like crap even without the dodging lol ...

I'll come up with some better images tomorrow :) Shooting in RAW all day :) Going to have a "fun day" with my kiddos :)

lol :) k :)

So when that pop up thing comes up when I plug my camera in, I should just ignore it and go straight to LR? I always have LR and CS5 open... I never close them lol

My Procedure:

Import my photos to an exterior harddrive that is constantly attached to my desktop. Labeling the folder by date first-followed by name/location of shoot.

Open LR and download to LR. Quick view for keepers, delete what I do not like from both LR & exterior harddrive.(don't forget to tag the photos as you are downloading them)

Simple - for me. My computer backs up the exterior harddrive to another harddrive everyday.

Your Canon came with programs for editing if you like, DPP being one of the programs.

I hear they are good, I have yet to try them, I am happy with LR & NIK plug-ins

yeah... I need to update my external hard drive... It's probably about a month behind... and my laptop is pushing 18 months old lol

Jeffie, I have CS 4 and I use Adobe Camera Raw to view my Raw. You can use adobe bridge to select which photos you want to open. You can open the whole folder if you want. Then I select them all and click auto (exposure adjustment). Then I just create the JPGs. I can always comeback to the RAW and correct the exposure again or the curve.

When you shoot in RAW, do you normally end up saving the images as jpegs to upload them to flickr or where ever you upload to?

I tried saving my most recent as a TIF but it was too big for Flickr... I ended up using PNG... Not sure what the best one is to use...

Any suggestions?

Umm...Lightroom and CS5 open them directly.
They actually convert them to dng's
Only if you set those applications up to convert them to DNG's at upload. The default is to leave them in them in their native format, CR2, NEF or whatever.

If you are not using Lightroom's database management function for uploading (it's primary function in fact, editing is secondary), I would suggest you use Bridge to upload rather than Windows.

Most online uses and print labs can only handle JPEG. JPEG is used as final output because the file size is substantially reduced.

As far as suggestions:

The DAM Book Digital Asset Management for Photographers. By Peter Krough

Don't discount Canon's own software, Digital Photo Professional. It makes simple work of RAW files, especially when you're just starting to work with them.

Yes, but I dont shoot with RAW+JPG like some people because:
1. I want to adjust the exposure
2. I only have 8 gb card
3. My camera cant handle continous shooting with RAW+JPG because of limited internal memory (T1i :( ).

But it really depends what you are doing. You dont have to make them all JPG unless you want to give them to client. You can always do it later.

When you shoot in RAW, do you normally end up saving the images as jpegs to upload them to flickr or where ever you upload to?

I tried saving my most recent as a TIF but it was too big for Flickr... I ended up using PNG... Not sure what the best one is to use...

Any suggestions?

Most reactions

Back