Question about sharpening

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In Lightroom, I sharpen as part of the processing.

I get a bit stuck, though, when exporting an image as a JPG. LR asks about sharpening (none, for screen, or for print).

I already sharpened, so I click none. Is this what most do?

Thanks

Nope, sharpening is mostly done in 2 stages, the initial (or capture) sharpening of the image like you are doing currently and output shapening where you fine tune it for the final image. In lightroom I'll set my output sharpening for screen and standard if it's for web viewing or use the matt or glossy paper if its for printing. I tend to just keep them all on standard.

Images destined for print can usually be sharpened a bit more than images destined for electronic (screen) display.
In the final analysis it depends on image content (edge frequency) and image quality.
Sharpening is best done in 3 stages - capture, local, output.

If you want to know more about sharpening one of the guys (Bruce Fraser) that helped write the software Adobe uses for sharpening wrote a book about sharpening using Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw (Ps Camera Raw and LR Develop module):
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back