Question about sharpening

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Jon_Are, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    In Lightroom, I sharpen as part of the processing.

I get a bit stuck, though, when exporting an image as a JPG. LR asks about sharpening (none, for screen, or for print).

I already sharpened, so I click none. Is this what most do?

Thanks

2. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nope, sharpening is mostly done in 2 stages, the initial (or capture) sharpening of the image like you are doing currently and output shapening where you fine tune it for the final image. In lightroom I'll set my output sharpening for screen and standard if it's for web viewing or use the matt or glossy paper if its for printing. I tend to just keep them all on standard.

3. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Images destined for print can usually be sharpened a bit more than images destined for electronic (screen) display.
    In the final analysis it depends on image content (edge frequency) and image quality.
    Sharpening is best done in 3 stages - capture, local, output.

If you want to know more about sharpening one of the guys (Bruce Fraser) that helped write the software Adobe uses for sharpening wrote a book about sharpening using Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw (Ps Camera Raw and LR Develop module):
    Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

• Like Like x 1