Question about shooting modes

CD51

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I have been thinking about shooting wildlife as I have been out there taking pictures. I have been shooting aperture priority and auto as well as manual and auto focus. My question is, would there be an advantage to shooting manual when using an inexpensive consumer lens? The reason I ask is because when in the auto mode on 99.9% the settings would be what I would use in manual due to the sweet spot of my consumer lens. I do shoot manual often when I use my M 50mm f/1.4, but outdoors on a sunny day I would shoot my zooms between f/8-11, 1/500 or a faster, and ISO 400 even in manual mode.

I'm a control freak so I almost always shoot in manual. Sorry-I'm sure that answer doesn't help you with your question. I can say that I see zero advantages to shooting in full auto. There are advantages to shooting AV or TV at times though.

If "auto" gives you the results you want, then by all means use it. If it doesn't, THEN you need to see where the "deficiency" is, and adjust accordingly. I vary the modes depending on what I'm trying to do, and what the environment/shooting situation allows me to do. If you're shooting wildlife, then shutter priority would probably be the most important mode if you're trying to freeze motion, AND avoid camera shake blur. Then let the ISO and aperture fall where they may given the lighting situation.

If "auto" gives you the results you want, then by all means use it. If it doesn't, THEN you need to see where the "deficiency" is, and adjust accordingly. I vary the modes depending on what I'm trying to do, and what the environment/shooting situation allows me to do. If you're shooting wildlife, then shutter priority would probably be the most important mode if you're trying to freeze motion, AND avoid camera shake blur. Then let the ISO and aperture fall where they may given the lighting situation.

I kind of view it the way you see it. None of my zooms are very sharp opened up so I try to shoot within there best range and found by looking at picture information that both auto and aperture priority are similar. Keep in mind all of the days I have been out it has been sunny and nice out so mileage will very with conditions. I just didn't know if there was an advantage to manual that I could be missing out on.

I usually shoot in manual as well, But I think for wildlife you might get better results with shutter priority or even a sports mode.

Never tried those two modes thanks for the food for thought, I'll have to give them a try.

IF your light is constant, and you got a good handle on it, "manual" gives you the most control and reproducibility (as wyogirl noted). My own workflow is to do an incident light meter reading to see the amount of light I'm working with, then do a test shot and see if that gives me the overall exposure that I would be happy with (highlights and shadows within the dynamic range of my camera). Then I choose the mode depending on whether DOF or freeze/blur is more important. If the light situation is truly constant, I would normally shoot in manual. If it is somewhat variable, then I will use either Aperture or Shutter priority depending on what I'm trying to control.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back