question about shooting old people

lorigon27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
anybody have any tips on shooting old people with lots of wrinkles in a house with no backdrops? I wanna get some photo's of my 83 year old gramma.
ie she also wears glasses

I'd shoot them the same way that I'd shoot someone who was young?
But it'd be easier because older people to not move around as much.

Just don't use on-camera flash if you can help it. Unless you have some kind of diffuser or something.

I wouldn't shoot old people, true eskimos used to push their elderly that couldn't contribute to society out to sea on an iceberg, but just shooting them is a little extreme.

Get her to sit beside a window, preferably a north facing window so that no direct sunlight is coming in.

anybody have any tips on shooting old people with lots of wrinkles in a house with no backdrops? I wanna get some photo's of my 83 year old gramma.
ie she also wears glasses

Well, unless you've got a time machine that can bring her back to 1953, she's gonna have a lot of wrinkles. I say make environmental portraits of her, in the house. Show her, and the house. Maybe bounce a flash unit's beam off the ceiling, or the corner of a wall-ceiling juncture, etc, and create a big source of light. Shoot at 400 ISO, to pick up some of the ambient light. Try and do it sensitively. And sensibly. She's 83--she's probably aware that there are wrinkles...they probably freak you out more than her.

I wouldn't shoot old people, true eskimos used to push their elderly that couldn't contribute to society out to sea on an iceberg, but just shooting them is a little extreme.
I just spat my coffee all over the keyboard! Nice one!

Because of the wrinkles, be very careful with the angle of whatever lighting it is you use.

You want to light so shadows cast by the wrinkles are minimized.

Because of her glasses, you may want to pay attention to the angle of reflection, and because of the angle of reflection you may want to pay attention to shadows. I'd use several reflectors/lights to reduce shadows if your angle of reflection is too steep.

I'd shoot them the same way that I'd shoot someone who was young?

But it'd be easier because older people to not move around as much.

ROTFLMAO! ( I guess you won't need a fast shutter speed!)

Ehh, this thread seems a bit tasteless and derogatory to someone just because they are aged.

You will be that old some day too (unless the bad kharma from taking jabs at someone based on their age catches up to you sooner).

Personally, if I was the old lady, I would want a photographer with a little more class then OP.

If it was me, I'd like heavy side lighting to really make those wrinkles pop :) When I'm old (and I better be wrinkly!!!) I want a shot like that taken of me!

Ehh, this thread seems a bit tasteless and derogatory to someone just because they are aged.

You will be that old some day too (unless the bad kharma from taking jabs at someone based on their age catches up to you sooner).

Personally, if I was the old lady, I would want a photographer with a little more class then OP.

I am already old and wrinkly! That is why I was laughing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back