Question about sizing a photo.....help!

ShelleySnapz

Photographer for hire!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Ok I need to submit a photo online and it says 50K-75K preferred 100K maximum is this at a 72 or 300 resolution?
Each time I resize the pixels then the size of the photo will say something like a 2x3 and thats too snamm at 72 and if I put it at 300 then the K size is too big...what am I doing wrong?

What are you submitting the photo for? Print, or web viewing? Always use 72 dpi for screen viewing, and 300 dpi for print. If you are trying to reach specific file size, then you should use a compression program like Image Ready to compress your jpg file to fit their window of size.

what i normally do is open the image size option in PS, change it to 72 dpi FIRST, then to the pixel dimensions I want (normally 700x whatever). If you do the pixels, then the dpi, it goes all wonky for some reason...

hmm I just looked at some of my photos and see that even with this guidline, the file size changes a lot, some are under 100K, and some are as high as 200...k i dont know.

When changing dpi, the safe way is to uncheck the "resample image" box, change the dpi, then re-check the resample box, and resize at will.

I always use a compression program "jpegopt" to compress my .jpg files.
It is very great.
If you want to get one, you can post me a mail, i will sent the JPEG Optimizer 3.15.rar to you as the attachment.
My mail: [email protected]

When dealing with images meant for the screen, dpi has no meaning, nor does 2"x3". There are no "inches" for there to be "dots per". All you are dealing with is px X px size, and in the case above, file size for people who want to limit that. With all the various monitor sizes and resolution, 72 dpi is meaningless. You have no idea what the dot size of the person's monitor is going to be, so you don't know how many there are in an inch.

citizenwp said:
I always use a compression program "jpegopt" to compress my .jpg files.
It is very great.
If you want to get one, you can post me a mail, i will sent the JPEG Optimizer 3.15.rar to you as the attachment.
My mail: [email protected]
Is this a windows or Mac app?

Mark thanks for the link!!

Most reactions

Back