question about the blub setting for my nikon d3100

katestumman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have had my nikon d3100 since january 2011 and i know how to use my bulb setting. however when i tried to turn the command dial to get to the setting, nothing changes. the shutter and aperture stay the same, even when i go to the different modes such as shutter speeds and aperture setting etc. i'm not sure why it won't change now because i have taken pictures at 30 seconds before, but now i can't. i'm also not sure if this is something that can't be fixed, so i'm debating between either taking it into a photo shop somewhere to see if they can see what's wrong or just getting a whole new camera body in general. everything else in my camera works fine, just the command dial won't change any settings when i try to turn it. if someone could help me that would be wonderful and i would really appreciate it, thank you!

Last edited:

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You have to be in manual setting to use Bulb. See page 73 of your users manual. Also look at page 77.

OP
K

katestumman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
i do know this, but even in manual setting the command dial won't change anything-shutter speed or aperture-in my camera. and i have also looked at the manual, but i didn't see anything for when it won't change the settings and that is what my problem is

globeglimpser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.globeglimpser.com
Photos OK to edit
then stop using blub mode and use bulb mode!

Try the following:
Turn flash off
Have significant battery life
Make sure a lens is attached (LOL)
Be in Manual Mode
Manually focus maybe
Check other funky focus settings

Most of these probably won't help but I think the problem is some stubborn setting (that could be listed above) which is hiding in the camera laughing down at you.

OP
K

katestumman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
i tried all of those and it still does not work. i was thinking it was some sort of weird setting too but either way i cant figure out why it wont work. i will probably take it into a shop and have someone look at it, but thank you so much!

OP
K

katestumman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
i don't believe so, but how can i check that?

Most reactions

New Topics