Question about vignette

lorigon27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quick one for everyone.
Would you recomend i leave the option up to a client, or just add it if deemed neccasery?
And if you consider a vignette a (trick) persay, or just a helpfull addition?
Im trying to decide wether to add vignette to the originals, or put them in the folder containing photoshoped images.
Any tips would be appreciated Thanks

Vignette can help draw our eyes to the center, to the subject but most of the time it is severely abused. I use a light vignette, not so much that it is obvious.

as far as creative license, I do not usually consult with my subject/client about my editing style.

can you maybe describe what to look for in a photo where you would not want a vignette? (Should i add it to a photo i deem already good? or should i try to steer clear from adding it just to do it?)

Real pro photographers know vignettes are part of what makes them a pro, so use them as much as possible. Also, pros like to use selective coloring.

Like Trevor1t mentions, it seems many add a vignette to compensate for a lack of photographic lighting knowledge, and/or to hide background distractions.

Hopefully, the photographer knows quite a bit more about what makes a good photograph than the customer does, at least in relation to the business of retail photography.

I almost always apply a light "edge burn" to anything serious. It closes up the frame, and makes the image feel more complete in the frame.

You can't see it if you don't know it's there, assuming I have done it right.

Or was this question about a visible/obvious vignette?

Vignette is something that if it is done well will help to bring the eye to the subject of the photo.
I'd like to see what you are referring to when you apply a vignette.
If it's something like this, then it's not a good vignette:

Pardon the crappy football photo of Aaron, it's what had on my desk at the time!

Attachments

• $VIGNETTE 1.jpg
    $VIGNETTE 1.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 111
In your flick go to the size image you want to post. Right click and just plain ol' "copy image" then paste here.

I have an acquaintance who fancies himself as an artiste and a stylist.
All of his pictures look like the person is in a burning room.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back