question about water photography

Why don't you ask her?

Use a clamp beneath the water to position and hold it in place. The reflection on the water keeps it from being seen. It's a nice setup. I wonder if she used glycerin for the drops. It'd be fun to set something like this up in the studio and try it.

Looking closer, it appears we can see a horizon in the main drop, so this may well be a found shot.

Either way, I really like it. :)

Use a clamp beneath the water to position and hold it in place. The reflection on the water keeps it from being seen. It's a nice setup. I wonder if she used glycerin for the drops. It'd be fun to set something like this up in the studio and try it.

Looking closer, it appears we can see a horizon in the main drop, so this may well be a found shot.

What kind of clamp would work best? It's a bit difficult with water -- I tried using a regular food clamper and it definitely showed right through the water.

What kind of clamp would work best? It's a bit difficult with water -- I tried using a regular food clamper and it definitely showed right through the water.
Any clamp that will hold it and doesn't float should work.

You have to use the angle of reflection to show the background, not what's below the surface. A CP will help with that, rotated opposite of what you would use to see below the surface with it.

Any clamp that will hold it and doesn't float should work.

You have to use the angle of reflection to show the background, not what's below the surface. A CP will help with that, rotated opposite of what you would use to see below the surface with it.
Can it work without a circular polarizer if I just keep trying different angles?

Also, do you think this background is added in PP? I know that placing a sheet of colored paper behind the setup can create color in the image (e.g. something like this Forget-Me-Not ~in red by Miki Asai / 500px) , but this next one seems like it was a texture added in PP.
Tree of Pearls by Miki Asai / 500px

Can it work without a circular polarizer if I just keep trying different angles?
Probably. Do some trial and error and find out. :)

Also, do you think this background is added in PP? I know that placing a sheet of colored paper behind the setup can create color in the image (e.g. something like this Forget-Me-Not ~in red by Miki Asai / 500px) , but this next one seems like it was a texture added in PP.
Only the artist knows for sure. I tend to think this is a found shot in nature, early in the morning, and was color enhanced, cleaned up, perhaps more in post. But that's just an opinion.

Only the artist knows for sure. I tend to think this is a found shot in nature, early in the morning, and was color enhanced, cleaned up, perhaps more in post. But that's just an opinion.
even the "tree of pearls?" one? i'm having trouble even guessing what's creating those huge bokeh-like blobs ! :)

even the "tree of pearls?" one? i'm having trouble even guessing what's creating those huge bokeh-like blobs ! :)
I was talking specifically about the first photo you posted a link to. The others appear to be reflected backgrounds that are not natural, but printed or put together with other materials.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back