Question and CC

Tbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a question. How do you know how much to crop? I understand there is no formula for composition but is there a rule for correctly cropping a photo? Example below. If you could also CC some new pictures I would appreciate any advice.

bashbash.jpg

Cropped:
bashbashcrop.jpg

And CC:
soywindow.jpg

Thanks guys and gals!

Cute pups.
For the black dog I probably would have cropped out the yellow dog, house, and shed. Those, to me anyway, are more distracting than the space above the black dog's head

I think the crop you did on the first one is probably the same crop I would have done for that picture. Not really sure what the other person meant by cropping out the yellow dog and the shed... as cropping off that whole section of the photo would give a strange composition with the black dog having nowhere to look off into. You definitely want to keep that part of the photo so the dog's eyes have somewhere to look off to, if that makes sense. Maybe they meant Photoshop the dog and shed out?? I agree that those elements are a bit distracting, but I don't see a good way to get them out of this photo.

I think that the first photo is focused well. The dog's face is nice and sharp and the background is blurred out, although it could be blurred out even more, as it is a bit distracting. Also, don't forget the rule of thirds... the dog's eyes are a bit too centered here.

Second photo is a very interesting one because it definitely expresses emotion... that doggy is just waiting for somebody to come home!! The lighting in this is perfect!! It's not always easy to get a photo this close to a window without blowing out the highlights, so you did a really good job with this :) I like the texture in the wood in the foreground as well. The only negative I can find here is that the red pillowy thing in the back and the green thing in the front are distracting. I would probably crop out some of the top part of this photo. Other than that, this is a really nice photo!

Very adorable dogs, by the way :)

Beautiful black lab!
199-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Shooting your dog is at best a very hard thing to do! Animals don't sit and pose and you have to shoot the moment.

I think you did a good job in both photos!

I'd love to know what photo effects you did in photoshop for the second and third photos!

#1 I'd crop out the yellow dog, a little distracting. But overall, you did a good job. A crop is up to you. There are rules to remember, like be sure to not crop out your subject's ear, hand, foot, etc. But also, just look at the picture and if you eyes are drawn to something to the side of your subject, say your dog, you need to crop it out. You should see the dog first.

Crop it how ever you feel it looks good.
Only rule is don't crop so much out that the remaining photo has so little pixel density that it start to look pixelated.

'Rules' I follow

Crop to a standard dimension because the pictures are much cheaper to frame and because off-standard photos draw attention to their dimensions. Violate this 'rule' when you know why you are doing it.

If possible, keep the points of interest off center, usually at the thirds (off the center but not pressed up against the edge.) Violate this 'rule' when you know why you are doing it.

If the subject is staring off into the distance, generally leave more space in that direction. Again. violate this 'rule' when you know why you are doing it.

There are no 'Rules' but only compositions that work well to focus interest, to contain the drama and that don't let the tension in any picture leak out through extra space.

this needs more space under his/her chin. not so interested in adding that in PS
took out the other dog

Last edited:
'Rules' I follow

Crop to a standard dimension because the pictures are much cheaper to frame and because off-standard photos draw attention to their dimensions. Violate this 'rule' when you know why you are doing it.

If possible, keep the points of interest off center, usually at the thirds (off the center but not pressed up against the edge.) Violate this 'rule' when you know why you are doing it.

If the subject is staring off into the distance, generally leave more space in that direction. Again. violate this 'rule' when you know why you are doing it.

There are no 'Rules' but only compositions that work well to focus interest, to contain the drama and that don't let the tension in any picture leak out through extra space.

+1 I found this really useful.

Beautiful dog BTW

'Rules' I follow

this needs more space under his/her chin. not so interested in adding that in PS
took out the other dog

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Moral of the story is to break the 'rules' when it feels right.

For the lighting I mess around with the "correct skin tone " tool in photoshop elements. U can also play around with the color pallet but the guided correct skin tone tool is easier I think.

Thanks everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back