Question before purchasing a D80

Zzang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a D80 with 7321 shutter clicks.

The price 480. It includes:
Nikon D80 camera body, charger, battery, memory card, Nikon neck strap, Nikon AF 80-200 telephoto lens and a wide angle lens.

Owner originally wanted 580. But, talked him down to 480.

Is this a solid deal?

Yep a decent deal tho wondering which Nikon 80-200? and what wide angle lens? Sounds more like one I saw in craigslist here in portland with a clip on wide front element which are a waste of money.

I have seen D90's in the $500 range and much improved over the D80. Also seeing D200 in the $400 range which is the D80 in beefed up body and will meter Ai or Ais manual lenses.

Which I personally would choose over the D80. But hey that's personal preferences and D80 is still a good performer.

That's a really good price for all that kit..provided it's in good shape....the price is so good it makes me a little suspicious of the condition of the gear.

Make sure you can examine the camera and lens (and take some pics ) before money changes hands. Look at the 80-200 closely and check the front and rear elements for scratches/marks. Also make sure the lens focuses OK and take some shots at several apertures if you can.

What about a Canon 40D for 425? I'm slightly more inclined towards the Canon...

You need to expand on what version of the 80-200 it is. There are multiple versions of that lens that are worth a good deal more than the asking price for the whole kit in good condition.

I feel it is a decent deal too for starter. But you would need a 18-55 mm to complete the initial set up.

Bought one of my Canons from the local shop here but ordered other equipment from Amazon.

As far as i know every "af" 80-200mm is the pro f2.8 lens, and even the oldest model (single ring non-d) is worth $400 in good condition. The best model of that lens (the afs version) is worth $900.

djacobox372 said:
As far as i know every "af" 80-200mm is the pro f2.8 lens, and even the oldest model (single ring non-d) is worth $400 in good condition. The best model of that lens (the afs version) is worth $900.

Do you know where you can find one at that price ? A reputable place? Not trying to ruffle feathers. I just dont see them for less than $1300. The beat ones are usually that price. If I'm not looking in the right places, I might need to try and find elsewhere.

Mach0 said:
Do you know where you can find one at that price ? A reputable place? Not trying to ruffle feathers. I just dont see them for less than $1300. The beat ones are usually that price. If I'm not looking in the right places, I might need to try and find elsewhere.

Ebay... Ive seen many great condition af-s 80-200mm f2.8s sell for $800-900; although the prices lately have been higher--likely due to the popularity of the d800.

Ebay has third buyers protection, which makes it about as reputable as it gets, since they always side with buyers in a he said/she said case.

If u want a great deal look for a nikon film slr like an f5, f100, n90s, or f4 bundled with the 80-200mm. Just resell the items you dont need. Ive purchased all of my pro glass this way and typically pay only 50-60% of market value (my 80-200mm afs cost me less then $500!)

djacobox372 said:
Ebay... Ive seen many great condition af-s 80-200mm f2.8s sell for $800-900; although the prices lately have been higher--likely due to the popularity of the d800.

Ebay has third buyers protection, which makes it about as reputable as it gets, since they always side with buyers in a he said/she said case.

If u want a great deal look for a nikon film slr like an f5, f100, n90s, or f4 bundled with the 80-200mm. Just resell the items you dont need. Ive purchased all of my pro glass this way and typically pay only 50-60% of market value (my 80-200mm afs cost me less then $500!)

Thank you for the advice.

Actually, no. There's a 80-200 f4.5-5.6 (or f4-5.6, not sure)
It's a crappy kit lens from the old cheap film cameras (like the F60): HERE

Most reactions

New Topics

Back