Question by a newbie :)

steelgrass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, Good day to everyone :) I am using a Nikon D7000 with 18-105mm lens and here are my questions. :)

Questions:
1. How to freeze an action? What settings should I use?
2. What is the best time of the day for doing E-sessions in wedding photography?
2.1 What settings should I use? (Like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, metering, etc?)
2.2 What are the right angles to take for me to get proper photos?
3. Is Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens, compatible with my camera Nikon D7000?
4. What are the tips on shooting candid pictures?
4.1 What are the settings for taking candid pictures? (Like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, metering, etc.)

:) Reply would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi, Good day to everyone :) I am using a Nikon D7000 with 18-105mm lens and here are my questions. :)

Questions:

A high shutter speed unless you're shooting with strobes/speedlights.

2. What is the best time of the day for doing E-sessions in wedding photography?

Any of them.

2.1 What settings should I use? (Like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, metering, etc?)

All of them are valid combinations.

All of them can be used.

Yes.

Learn what the various settings on your camera do instead of simply asking what settings to use.

4.1 What are the settings for taking candid pictures? (Like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, metering, etc.)

All the combinations are usable.

Thanks, mate :) perhaps I should know first my camera :)

Your questions indicate to me that you're new to photography as well as to your camera. As such, I strongly recommend you read the tutorials at the the top of this forum to become familiar with the exposure triangle - aperture, shutter speed, and ISO speed - and how they all inter-react with each other. Without at least some understanding of these three, trying to comprehend the user manual for your camera is like reading a calculus text book while still in grade school.

Spend some time learning about photography...and start taking pictures. Don't be in such a rush to shoot in manual mode. Start with "A" and look at what the camera chooses for you. Then move to "P" and make a setting or two on your own and see what the differences are. It's all about light and how to make photographs in the light you have and/or create. You'll learn from experience what works and doesn't work. It's long been said that experience is the best teacher.

All of this information is available in the excellent manual which Nikon thoughtfully included at no extra charge! ;)

This page here could help you learn more about candid photos 11 Tips for Better Candid Photography its a good read. The other settings you asked for will come with spending time playing with the camera I am still much a noob with photography but I for sure would not be considering wedding photos any time soon. From your questions you seem new to your camera and photography as a whole so for sure do a lot of searching the web, read your manual and most of all use the camera.

Questions:

:) Reply would be greatly appreciated :)
1. It depends on how fast the action is. When a person walks their feet and hands move faster than their head does during most of a stride, but at least 1/250 for a walking person. As moving speed increase the shutter speed has to get shorter. But as shutter speed gets shorter, less light reaches the image sensor so the lens aperture or the ISO have to be adjusted to compenate for the less light the shutter is letting in.
Stopping motion is mainly a function of the camera's shutter speed, which is in part why your camera has a variety of shutter speeds available.
A further consideration is lens focal length and camera motion induced by the photographer. A rule of thumb for minimizing camera shake is that is that shutter speed should be no longer than 1/the focal length of the lens. If a 50 mm lens is used, shutter speed of 1/50 or faster is needed to ensure there is no camera shake blurring of a photo.
Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

2. The direction and quality of light changes throughout the day. In general direct mid-day sunlight is the least desirable. Professionals use a variety of lighting techniques and aids when shooting outside during the day. Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography
Sekonic L-308s Light Meter - Black

2.1 See link under #1. The amount of light available, and image artistic goals determine camera settings.
2.2 500 Poses for Photographing Couples: A Visual Sourcebook for Digital Portrait Photographers

3. Answered in another post.
But, Nikon's 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras needs to be 'stopped down' 2 stops or so to get the sharpest focus, and because of the shape and number of aperture blades it has the asthetic visual quality of a blurred background is well short of optimal. A better lens choice for shooting couples would be the Nikon 85mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

4. and 4.1 See link under #1. It depends on a number of factors and usually the settings need to be changed on the fly.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
With all due respect, you're asking a lot of questions, wedding photography questions being among them, and you're obviously very inexperienced, which isn't a bad thing. One thing I would urge you to do is learn how to use your camera to the best of its abilities before even thinking about trying to photograph a wedding. One thing to remember on the D7000 is that the 50mm (normal) lens acts as a 75mm. if you're after a lens that gives you roughly 50mm, opt for something like a 35mm 1.8.

One thing to keep in mind with DX (or crop sensor/ APS-C) bodies is that 50mm just isn't a true 50mm, when comparing to an FX (or Full Frame) body. Nikon DX has a 1.5 "Crop factor". As illustrated above, a 50mm FX lens gives you roughly 75mm on a DX body, and a 35mm FX lens will give you 52mm on a DX body. The formula is pretty simple when trying to figure this out. If you have (again) a 50mm lens, designed for full frame, multiply that by 1.5, and it'll give you it's crop sensor equivalent value. Another example would be working with, say the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8. First multiply 70 X 1.5, and we see that it acts as a 105 on the wide end. Next, multiply 200 X 1.5, and we see that it acts as a 300mm DX equivalent on the long end. I'll be honest in that I use mostly DX bodies with FX lenses, but these are things which just have to be taken into account when buying photography equipment.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but rather, trying to teach something. There's nothing wrong with shooting on DX. I'll be the first to admit that I do! But since Nikon hasn't given us much to work with, lens-wise, I tend to use FX lenses because of that! There are also some decent offerings for DX type lenses from companies like Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma, so I would keep their lenses in mind as well. If you do decide to go with something from any of them, bring your camera in and try out various samples, including 2-3 samples of the same lens. Sometimes, their quality differs with each lens, regardless of weather or not it's the same model. NEVER BUY THEM ONLINE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO!!!

Last edited:
E-session = Engagement session. Not a wedding.

But it takes a lot of effort and learning before someone can consistently make high quality photographs on demand.
Pre-production, production, and post production are all involved, not to mention the whole sub-set of business/marketing/salesmanship skills needed to do retail photography.

Lots of questions so here is my 2 cents worth...
One-- read the entire manual that came with the camera
Two-- read Scott Kelby's Digital Photography books... start with 1 and work through all the way to 4.
Three-- Experiment with your camera!!

Questions:

This is about the only subject I can comment on.

Shutter speed is the key to freezing action shots but how much depends on the action. A good starting point is 1/500 and run upwards of 1/1000 or more, I generally start around 1/300 though and take sample practice shots if possible and adjust accordingly. You can also shoot in Shutter Priority mode if you don't want to fool with the other settings.

High ISO helps with action as well. I generally leave this one in Auto or ISO3200 while shooting sports.

I also highly suggest shooting in Continuous Mode or Burst! Taking 3-4 shots in a single action period can increase your odds of getting that one good action photo.

Questions:

In the late afternoon after about 2 or 3 years of practice.

Questions:

In the late afternoon after about 2 or 3 years of practice.

This and a Body Guard to protect you from the Bridezila!

Most reactions

Back